Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Hi,

I really want to get the AirPods, but i can't seem to find the answer to my question anywhere.

Like most people I have two ears ( :) ) but unfortunately my right ear only has about 20% hearing and I wear a Hearing aid in it. I use Bose over the ear Bluetooth headphones (with my in-the-ear hearing aid in) and they work a treat. When I use the Apple earbuds, if I'm walking around I only use one in my left ear, if at the gym I use both (as I take out my hearing aid), but to be honest, if i pull out the bud from my good ear i cant really hear anything in the bad one.

Here lies my question. I really don't want to shell out for two as I can really only use one. I have read that you can get a replacement if you lose one, but can I just buy one? I'm not being tight (honest!), I just really cant justify the cost of a pair when I can only physically use one :)

Thanks!

janezblond

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
You can't do it officially, and there is a chance the pairing process depends on both being present (not sure about this). You could visit your local Apple Store and see if they can help you out.

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
You can't do it officially, and there is a chance the pairing process depends on both being present (not sure about this). You could visit your local Apple Store and see if they can help you out.
Thanks! My local store is about 40 miles away, but I may see now if I can go onto the apple site and start a chat :)

...suppose i could have done that before posting :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
best bet is head to apple store and explain but chances are you would need to pay for it all. Not sure they are even selling them separate yet and if it only applies if you have lost it

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Hi,

I really want to get the AirPods, but i can't seem to find the answer to my question anywhere.

Like most people I have two ears ( :) ) but unfortunately my right ear only has about 20% hearing and I wear a Hearing aid in it. I use Bose over the ear Bluetooth headphones (with my in-the-ear hearing aid in) and they work a treat. When I use the Apple earbuds, if I'm walking around I only use one in my left ear, if at the gym I use both (as I take out my hearing aid), but to be honest, if i pull out the bud from my good ear i cant really hear anything in the bad one.

Here lies my question. I really don't want to shell out for two as I can really only use one. I have read that you can get a replacement if you lose one, but can I just buy one? I'm not being tight (honest!), I just really cant justify the cost of a pair when I can only physically use one :)

Thanks!
I'm not sure if Apple would do that (they might if you ask nicely as they've presumably got individual items in stock for replacements), but even if they would you wouldn't actually save that much - the Pod would cost you £65 and the charger another £65, making a total of £130 which is a £29 saving over buying a full set

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
@op, does changing the balance of left and right channel help you any? iOS has a feature that let's you do that. You could try boosting the volume of left enough that you hear both equally well.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I'm not sure if Apple would do that (they might if you ask nicely as they've presumably got individual items in stock for replacements), but even if they would you wouldn't actually save that much - the Pod would cost you £65 and the charger another £65, making a total of £130 which is a £29 saving over buying a full set

That is true. Also If I could find someone who is deaf in their left ear I could sell them the right :)

You are right though, not much of a saving and I just tried again with earbuds and although i couldn't listen to an audiobook on just my right ear, for music it give enough noise to give a stereo effect.

@op, does changing the balance of left and right channel help you any? iOS has a feature that let's you do that. You could try boosting the volume of left enough that you hear both equally well.

I have tried that, but I am so used to a hearing aid that adjusts just the range I need in my right ear that it tends to distort a bit when I play with the balance :(

Thanks all :) looks like it will be a full set after all. Though not till feb looking at the stock levels :)

Reactions: Phil A.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Of course one option is to just sell the one you don't need. I don't know how the AirPods are paired together, but if it's as easy as just placing them in the same charging case, I would believe you'll eventually find someone who needs a replacement.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Of course one option is to just sell the one you don't need. I don't know how the AirPods are paired together, but if it's as easy as just placing them in the same charging case, I would believe you'll eventually find someone who needs a replacement.

My thoughts exactly.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
My thoughts exactly.

Yep I think i am going to do that. As I say there is sound in my bad ear, but definitely not enough for a book or podcast on its own, but enough to convince my brain that the sound is in stereo if you get what I mean. I will be in no rush to sell the other, but if someone wants it I will :)

All you two eared people do not know how lucky you are ;) (though i can get to ignore the wife and blame it on my hearing...)

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
IMG_0075.JPG
Hi,

Thanks!
Try something Like a Moto hint +. I'm not sure how it does with exercise but come with multiple ear tips and the sound is pretty good for a single earbud and is very smalll. I work remote and it's what I've always used when in my office making calls on my iphone and generally listening to music in the background. It will envoke Siri very well, also has pass through audio so you can hear better with it in your ear (this will decrease battery life quite a bit) and voice commands so you can answer a call just by saying "answer". It also has a sensor that tells you when it's in your ear. I would charge the charging case about every 3-5 days. Save your receipt if you buy one. I had an issue and moto would do nothing for me since I lost my receipt even though i registered it. I ended up finding one at Staples for $39.00. Worth a try at that cost if you can find one.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
View attachment 679178
Try something Like a Moto hint +. I'm not sure how it does with exercise but come with multiple ear tips and the sound is pretty good for a single earbud and is very smalll. I work remote and it's what I've always used when in my office making calls on my iphone and generally listening to music in the background. It will envoke Siri very well, also has pass through audio so you can hear better with it in your ear (this will decrease battery life quite a bit) and voice commands so you can answer a call just by saying "answer". It also has a sensor that tells you when it's in your ear. I would charge the charging case about every 3-5 days. Save your receipt if you buy one. I had an issue and moto would do nothing for me since I lost my receipt even though i registered it. I ended up finding one at Staples for $39.00. Worth a try at that cost if you can find one.
Thanks!I'll take a look!

Reactions: hubieonekanubie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.