Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcrchicago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I've tried search but can't seem to find if anyone has any insight into this... Since it looks like AirPods or W1-enabled Beats headphones will automatically pop up a pairing notification with any nearby iPhone, does this mean that the person sitting next to you on an airplane or on a bus/subway (in tight spaces) will see a pairing notification for my AirPods on their iPhone?

With typical NFC, you have to be within a certain few inches, and this is entirely possible in an airplane seat or on a crowded bus.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I've tried search but can't seem to find if anyone has any insight into this... Since it looks like AirPods or W1-enabled Beats headphones will automatically pop up a pairing notification with any nearby iPhone, does this mean that the person sitting next to you on an airplane or on a bus/subway (in tight spaces) will see a pairing notification for my AirPods on their iPhone?

With typical NFC, you have to be within a certain few inches, and this is entirely possible in an airplane seat or on a crowded bus.

The pop up will happen only one time, and the case must be very close to the phone.. like inches.

chemex

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
I don't believe that it's actually NFC, I believe its Bluetooth Low Energy (ble for short). I believe they said pairing is authenticated through iCloud so once you pair it with your phone it should be secure.

Reactions: tkukoc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.