Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
It occurred to me that Airpods have the ability to record voices wirelessly.

Recording works ok with wired EarPods.

For self video recordings, I have used separate wireless microphones for presentations. There are numerous considerations such as charging time, app compatibility and ease of use.

If doable with the Airpods, to smooth out the recording process, then this may be an ideal solution.

The only drawback may be to have the Airpod showing in one ear as a potential distraction when speaking.

Although, it's common to see speakers with an earpiece in many situations.

Another consideration may be when there are multiple speakers and the sound of others may not be picked up as clearly.

Potentially, two people could each have one Airpod that would clearly capture the sound of each other.

Who may be considering video recordings with Airpods as remote sound capture?

Last edited:
Reactions: bcollett

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Well, it works.

I'm able to use my Airpods as a remote wireless microphone of a video recording!

No need for a special mic hookup, nor wired mic, nor special setup.

It just works.

I successfully tested with both Airpods to remotely video myself at over 30 feet and around a wall.

The audio sound is perfectly clear, as if next to the iPhone.

This is a huge leap in recording. Hang on, Snapchat, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube...anybody that records video and cares about the sound.

Those that have the equipment already, not so much of a big deal.

For the rest of us: it's now open season of video recording with pro sounding audio.

I'll test this out with two people, each with a pod and determine if it records correctly & distinctly. Imagine having interviews of two people, which is typical, having a more effortless conversation. Even the Pods may be hidden when facing each other & the pod may not be as noticeable.

Recorded presentations would also be easier. I have often wondered if I had enough charge in my remote mics. Now I will know for sure.

No other BT headset does this besides the Airpods. Even the other W1 chip enabled pieces may not work, as I have no interest in them.

I'll post a video soon, if there is interest.

Michael_Wild

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
Well, it works.

I'm able to use my Airpods as a remote wireless microphone of a video recording!

No need for a special mic hookup, nor wired mic, nor special setup.

It just works.

How did you get this to work? I have tried a few time with my iPhone 7 plus and only get audio from the built in mic.

I called Apple Tech support today (2017-03-28) and spoke with a senior advisor. He informed me “after reviewing the Apple Airpods feature lists, they cannot be used as an audio recording device”.

This is highly disappointing, it seems to me this is a feature that could and should be added with a relatively simple software change. PLEASE Apple?

Even better, allow each Airpod to record left and right channels so two people, one with the right Airpod and the other with the left Airpod can use them to record two channel audio when recording videos. KILLER FEATURE!!!

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Even better, allow each Airpod to record left and right channels so two people, one with the right Airpod and the other with the left Airpod can use them to record two channel audio when recording videos. KILLER FEATURE!!!

The Airpods work well with the iphone app: MoviePro.

Let me see what you produce?

Reactions: eyeseeyou

cielod

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2017
Yes it works BUT you have to use a different camera app such as Movie Pro. I think the sound is acceptable and usable. I did a mic test here on my video:

http://thestoryographist.com/blog-m...luetooth-wireless-microphones-with-the-iphone

--------------
It occurred to me that Airpods have the ability to record voices wirelessly.

Recording works ok with wired EarPods.

For self video recordings, I have used separate wireless microphones for presentations. There are numerous considerations such as charging time, app compatibility and ease of use.

If doable with the Airpods, to smooth out the recording process, then this may be an ideal solution.

The only drawback may be to have the Airpod showing in one ear as a potential distraction when speaking.

Although, it's common to see speakers with an earpiece in many situations.

Another consideration may be when there are multiple speakers and the sound of others may not be picked up as clearly.

Potentially, two people could each have one Airpod that would clearly capture the sound of each other.

Who may be considering video recordings with Airpods as remote sound capture?

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Yes it works BUT you have to use a different camera app such as Movie Pro. I think the sound is acceptable and usable. I did a mic test here on my video:

http://thestoryographist.com/blog-m...luetooth-wireless-microphones-with-the-iphone

--------------
No BUTs about this.

This video and use of the AirPods/MoviePro combo is ideal in many video recording situations.

It helps to have long hair to hide the AirPods and minimize distractions.

Next up: interviews of another person using AirPods.

It's audio recording made simpler.

Reactions: matrix07

matteuk

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2013
No BUTs about this.

This video and use of the AirPods/MoviePro combo is ideal in many video recording situations.

It helps to have long hair to hide the AirPods and minimize distractions.

Next up: interviews of another person using AirPods.

It's audio recording made simpler.

Why not use it as a collar mic

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Why not use it as a collar mic

Yes, that would work, except for tethering with a cord or a clip.

Doable and probably still visible.

That it functions as a mic is a victory.

The best mic is the one always with you.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I’ve just tested using a non AirPod Bluetooth headphone set with the movie pro app and it also recognizes it as an external mic.

Definitely worth the $5 for the app if you need better audio when using a gimbal.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
This is a great idea. I do group presentations in my office. Right now I use a handheld mic that runs through a receiver the a Peavey Amp to the speakers. I have music playing before and after meeting from my iPad Pro through speaker output cord (3.5mm) to the Peavey to the speakers. Would I be able to connect my Airpods to the iPad to output to speakers to use as a remote mic? I could get rid of my handheld mic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.