Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
My Airpods Pro are constantly dead with them being in the case. Anyone knows what is wrong?

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
My Airpods Pro are constantly dead with them being in the case. Anyone knows what is wrong?
Is it a new thing, possibly due to the new firmware update?
From what I understand “find my” for these in the past only worked if they were near your phone, whereas with the new software update they can be found even through someonelse’s phone

BuldozerX

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
When I love my airpods in the case and everything is fully charge is loses around 5% in 15 hours. Is that normal?

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
Hey guys,
i feel like I read all threads in the worldwide internet about the battery drain issue, but I still can't find a solution, so maybe I missed something, here is what is the problem and what i try to fix it:

The case loses 5 - 20% of its battery over night or also during the day in "standby" of course (not using it, just lay on the table). The problem is not the case. If I take out the airpods and lay them on the table out of the case, the case will stop losing of it's charge. The airpods still loses charge then, but I think it's in a normal area, because I lay my Airpods 2 to next to them (also out of the case) and the battery drain of the Airpods 2 compared to the Airpods Pro is almost equal.
The case and the Aripods also don't lose any of it's charge after I reset them and don't set them up to the iPhone again - so if they are "unpaired" (like fresh out of the box) they won't lose any charge.

I had this battery problem about 2 years ago with another pair of Airpods 2 and didn't find a solution for that. It's pathetic, that apple doesn't fix this until now. However.

I tried:
- Reset Airpods and delete them in the iPhone (set up as "new")
- tried a second iPhone and connect the Airpods after resetting them to this iPhone
- fully drained Airpods and Case
- use original cable and power adapter from Apple

Actually the Case has about 2 full charging cycles. I also read about prople replace there Airpods and Case with the Apple support 3 or 4 times without a final solution.

Is there another "workaround" or something a user can do in that situation?

Thanks a lot!

BuldozerX

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
The new update and iOS 15 uses Find My to update the Airpods location regularly. This will draw some power while they are in the case, and the case will charge up the Airpods whenever they lose power. I guess this is why. I'd rather have the option to turn this garbage off in order to save power. 20% seems a but much. I probably lose 6% in 15 hours.

Last edited:

BuldozerX

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
I will test it and give a feedback, that will take some hours.
I'm not even sure you can turn off Find My. I just got these so I haven't done much troubleshooting. But yeah, the answer I got was that the Airpods are using Bluetooth, even in the case because of this feature, and it will draw some power.

Reactions: Quarkii

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
True point. But there are also people out there without any problems with the battery charge.

Of course - if there is an software bug, only the difference in an iPhone model can be a solution. So maybe an iPhone 12 with iOS 15 doesn’t have that bug but an iPhone 13 has it.

It’s hard to find out, what’s the matter here. I’m just very confused, that there are people without that problem. Some people changed their AirPods for 4 or 5 times and after that they don’t have any more problems. Others don’t…it’s weird.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've noticed about a 5-10% drain on the case of my new Pro's in around 12-15 hours. I've tried everything except completely draining the case and recharging to 100% but I really don't think that will solve the problem. It's either find my or a software issue. Find my works a lot better on my Pro's when compared to my Gen 1 Airpods. The location is always spot on where my 1st gens are spotty. As far as sound and comfort they are excellent. I didn't have an issue with the original Airpods as far as fit or sound but these are definitely a better experience and was worth the upgrade

BuldozerX

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
Same as mine. Seems to either be a bug they can resolve later or something that's completely normal due to find my.

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
Maybe. But there are also Airpods 2 from the beginning with that issue, still not resolved.

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
I have a weird update.

Today i put my airpods in the case to reload them. After they were fully loaded at 100% the case was drain to 3%. After about an hour it was at 1%. Since that nothings gonna happen for hours now. So, the case seems to be "fully empty" at 1%. The AirPods both stay at 100%. Normally, they start drain then if the case is empty.

So the function "Find my" definitely has no impact on the battery drain.

Just don't understand, why the bug "end's up here".

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
There have been a lot of reports about the AirPods Max also having severe battery drain when in standby and I resolved that issue by ensuring that “automatically connect” was disabled and using “last connected” instead. That reduced the loss of battery on my AirPods Max to 1% a day and it’s the same with my Pro’s. The case loses just a few percent a week when not in use

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
There have been a lot of reports about the AirPods Max also having severe battery drain when in standby and I resolved that issue by ensuring that “automatically connect” was disabled and using “last connected” instead. That reduced the loss of battery on my AirPods Max to 1% a day and it’s the same with my Pro’s. The case loses just a few percent a week when not in use
Thanks for that „workaround“. I will check that and give a feedback after testing.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

BuldozerX

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
I have a weird update.

Today i put my airpods in the case to reload them. After they were fully loaded at 100% the case was drain to 3%. After about an hour it was at 1%. Since that nothings gonna happen for hours now. So, the case seems to be "fully empty" at 1%. The AirPods both stay at 100%. Normally, they start drain then if the case is empty.

So the function "Find my" definitely has no impact on the battery drain.

Just don't understand, why the bug "end's up here".

Probably a bug that will be solved in a future update. At least I hope so.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'll give that a try, hopefully it will give me the same results you're getting.
update: got worse, overnight I lost 16% from the case not being used. I'm thinking they need to be returned for a new pair.. That's a ridiculous amount of battery drain for unused, 2 week old AirPod Pro's..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
Thing is - there are lots of people returning the AirPods 2,3,4 times and still have that issue…

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Mine went from 100% at 10pm last night, to 86% at 8:50pm tonight. Haven't been used and haven't been on the charger. So, where's that charge going?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I too am losing about 10% a day. I'm returning these, not going to deal with the irritation or workarounds. I already have Airpods 1 and Beats Fit Pro anyway, which don't have the same problem (or at least not nearly to the same degree).
I like the sound and the comfort of the Airpods 3, so might buy again if it gets sorted out.

scrane

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2021
I just listen to music. When the Airpods need charging I charge them. I have other things to worry about.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I just wanted to add that I haven't used my AirPods 3 for a few days, but I have been checking the battery level. I fully charged them Tuesday night. From Wednesday to Friday I went from 100% to 83%. But from Friday night to just now, I've gone from 83 to 82%. So after an initial big loss of charge, the case is now losing very little charge at all. Weird.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I seemed to be having the opposite problem. My Pros would NEVER drain the case or the buds themselves if they're in the case, but if you're using them in your ears, the case goes to 0% in a few hours, and you hear the 'AirPods battery is dead' tone from the buds but they keep working, but place them in the case, you get a red LED and if you take them back out they are also dead. As in they won't pair back until you charge the case first. Only with the Pros, not the Gen 2's. Never did figure it out. They refuse to pair also if you have no charge from the case if they're still in the case, even if the Pods themselves are ok. It's like the case does all the pairing work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.