Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much do you think is a reasonable amount to charge on top of the $30 wired EarPods

• up to ¢30 - Total Price = ¢60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
There have been a lot of people moaning about the price of the new AirPods in relation to the fact that the audio quality is almost identical to the wired EarPods.

So I ask the question:

How much do you think is a reasonable amount to charge on top of the $30 wired EarPods for the development and production of 2 x small bluetooth transmitters, 2 x Taptic engines, 2 x proximity sensors, 2 x microphones and 2 x batteries, 1 x charging case and 1 x lightning cable?

Try and answer the question honestly.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
They don't have taptic engines, right?

---

Though I was hoping these would be hitting the $99 price point I feel the cost is justified at $160. Its a lot but you're getting a lot, and you're paying for the development that went into these.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
if you accept the SQ is of £30 headphones, they are worth the price for wireless convenience. If they actually sounded like £150 headphones, they would be a complete bargain. I bought a set with expectations of £30 SQ and i have really been impressed with everything other than the SQ. Well implemented product with Great BT....if you use an iPhone.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
if you accept the SQ is of £30 headphones, they are worth the price for wireless convenience. If they actually sounded like £150 headphones, they would be a complete bargain. I bought a set with expectations of £30 SQ and i have really been impressed with everything other than the SQ. Well implemented product with Great BT....if you use an iPhone.

Those were my thoughts as well. Paying for the extra features rather than SQ of £150 earphones. I think some people had
unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: sunking101 and MH01

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I expect these to drop to $120 when the next gen comes out with the fitness features Apple has been working on.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the current price point at the release of a new product however.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Based of the iFixit Teardown these things must have been very difficult and expensive to develop. Fitting this much technology in the very limited space is not easy. So I think the current price is somewhat reasonable.

Reactions: Rtt3rd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.