Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
Updated to latest firmware. Rebooted them and even done a factory reset per Apple instructions. They are cutting in and out while listening every so often. It’s extremely quick but enough to annoy me a bit while watching the new Dune movie. I have Sony MX4’s as well and no issues with those like this. Hope I did not get a bum set? Return is no problem IF need be. I got them at Best Buy with AppleCare. Will continue to monitor but wanted to know if this is a possible issue right now? I only ask this since iOS 15 is pretty new still and all my devices are using it.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
I watched Dune on my TV with AirPods Max and Spatial Audio on (but head tracking disabled). I don’t recall any cuts out or issues. I use them daily with my other Apple devices as well and they have been perfectly rock solid. Everything is on the latest versions of Apple’s software. My AirPods will occasionally (very rarely) stutter but never my Max.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
Thanks. Will continue to monitor. I just ordered a set for my sister as well and will be here on Thursday. If hers don’t do it. I will exchange them.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
This has happened with the Max since day one but some claim they have never experienced it. Maybe its caused by in-home interference.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2019
This has happened with the Max since day one but some claim they have never experienced it. Maybe its caused by in-home interference.
Now I am wondering if this is why. I exchanged them for another new pair. It’s not nearly as bad but there. My Sony MX4’s are not doing this. I just tested them again back to back with AirPods Max. I don’t know what to do. The AirPods Max clearly sound better and are more comfortable. It’s not even close compared to the Sony’s. Could it be the AirPods Max are way more susceptible to interference then Sony MX4’s?!?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Now I am wondering if this is why. I exchanged them for another new pair. It’s not nearly as bad but there. My Sony MX4’s are not doing this. I just tested them again back to back with AirPods Max. I don’t know what to do. The AirPods Max clearly sound better and are more comfortable. It’s not even close compared to the Sony’s. Could it be the AirPods Max are way more susceptible to interference then Sony MX4’s?!?
Didn't happen with my MX4's either and hasn't happened for a long time with my APM. So I would say don't bother replacing them as at one point it was happening daily for me. The only changes that have happened since are software updates and I have also changed my home network setup from the standard ISP router and mesh disks to a dedicated Dream Machine (Wi-Fi 5) and a Unify Wi-Fi 6 access point upstairs.

You will find it mentioned across the internet but it feels like it comes and goes, and then you have die hard fans who claim their equipment works perfectly 100 % off the time so its hard to say for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.