Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
I just recently picked up the Airpods Max and have enjoyed the sound quality and integration into the apple eco system, immensely!
However in the two days that i’ve had them, i have found them slightly uncomfortable in its clamping and i also feel like the ANC might be giving me slight headaches. i remember experiencing the ANC headaches with my Bose headphones when i first got them but eventually i got used to it and no longer get them. But i have to say the ANC is pretty intense on the Max’s.

i was curious for those with the Airpods Max who’ve had it for a few months.

1. Does the clamping start loosening up for people like myself that have big heads?
2. Do you eventually get used to the ANC?

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
I can honestly say that the comfort of these headphones improves over time as you wear them in and get used to them. I wear glasses so initially I did feel pressure of these pushing my frames deep into my skull (slightly exaggerated but you get the point) and now I can wear them very comfortably for a noticeable period of time.

Reactions: doolar and syrcular

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
ANC reduces the chance of a headache since it lowers the SPL on the eardrums. Also ANC can't be "intense". It is measured by how effective it is at neutralizing unwanted external sounds. You are either saying that the Max's has a less effective ANC or is more effective.

Could be you find the noise reduction disorienting (since using headphones is an unnatural experience anyway) and could be contributing to your headaches.

Reactions: syrcular

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I just recently picked up the Airpods Max and have enjoyed the sound quality and integration into the apple eco system, immensely!
However in the two days that i’ve had them, i have found them slightly uncomfortable in its clamping and i also feel like the ANC might be giving me slight headaches. i remember experiencing the ANC headaches with my Bose headphones when i first got them but eventually i got used to it and no longer get them. But i have to say the ANC is pretty intense on the Max’s.

1. Does the clamping start loosening up for people like myself that have big heads?
I was curious if you’ve used over the ear “cans”” before? Or are you new to this category of equipment?

Ah, never mind, I see you’ve had Bose.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I wear mine for up to 4 hours comfortably. I wear glasses so it did take some time to find the right positioning of them on my head.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
100% improves over time. I had some head soreness when removing them after longer sessions for the first week or so. No longer the case! I actually find that they now get more comfortable the longer I wear them.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
100% improves over time. I had some head soreness when removing them after longer sessions for the first week or so. No longer the case! I actually find that they now get more comfortable the longer I wear them.
That's great! I was hoping that was the case! I use them for work, so I usually have them on all day, so hoping they start softening up for comfort! Thanks!

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Yes they improve! I can easily wear mine for eight to ten hours, not that I wear them that long too often, but it happens. No issues with comfort at all.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

I'm not sure about the clamping getting less. I guess I'm used to some pretty tight headphone fits.

I think the ANC on this is the least noticeable than any of the other brands I've owned. That said it is also one of the best in dampening outside noise.

My only concern is that after a few hours, even in air-conditioning my ears feel very, very slightly moist. I would not deem them sweaty, but I am working at a desk.

I pop them off for a minute or two, and I've got them on for a another few hours. I suppose everyone would be different.

A2084

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
Got mine about 9 days ago and came across this thread after a quick search.

I wear mine for extended periods of time especially during this holiday season and the clamping force really feels way too much. I wonder if I'm missing something since almost every review I have watched has mentioned that this is one of the most comfortable over-the-head headphones out there.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Got mine about 9 days ago and came across this thread after a quick search.

I wear mine for extended periods of time especially during this holiday season and the clamping force really feels way too much. I wonder if I'm missing something since almost every review I have watched has mentioned that this is one of the most comfortable over-the-head headphones out there.
Comfy because fabric and headband, clamping force is still tight after 8 months of owning them

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
clamping force is still tight after 8 months of owning them

That's the sort of report that made me glad to sell mine.

I was always skeptical of the folks saying "get used to it" and "just stretch them out over some books for a few weeks"..

Nah -- if headphones don't feel great in a 1-2 week trial (return period), one should move on.
Not all products are for everyone and their head shapes/sizes, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.