Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenSword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
I have problems with my AirPods Max. After I've been using them for like 45-60 min the sounds starts to crack and give off static sounds when I'm looking at videos. It's most appereant with voices, its like every sentence cuts off with a SSST, almost like it cracks ir leaks.

Anyone had this problem?

Reactions: Wackery

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
I’ve been experiencing the same thing. Watching streaming platforms from Disney+ to ITV Hub, it stutters and cracks like you say. I just assumed it was something to do with the iOS 15 public beta I have installed as I never experienced this before that. Can I ask if you are also on the public beta?

GreenSword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
No im on the current standard.

It only happens in the left earcup and i had the specific cup replaced but the problem persists. Nowwhen I sent them in they just sent it back "couldn't recreate the problem", so now i have to pay the service fee and live with the problem. I'm kinda pissed off about it, these headphones are too expensive to not work better than budget brands.

GreenSword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
BUMP.

No one have this problem? Its also feels like it builds up pressure in the ear cup, so i guess it has something to do with the noice cancelling.

Golden373

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
I encountered this with my Max. It is a low white noise in the left ear only. They sent me a new pair that don’t seem to have the problem. I am about to send back my old pair. hopefully They will be able to hear the problem, too.

Reactions: PeterKG

GreenSword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
I encountered this with my Max. It is a low white noise in the left ear only. They sent me a new pair that don’t seem to have the problem. I am about to send back my old pair. hopefully They will be able to hear the problem, too.
Hmm i wonder if thats the same, mine is more high pitched and not a subtle sound.

I sent them in and got the left earcup replaced, problem persisted.
Sent them in once more, they couldnt reproduce the problem so got them back.
Complained again at support and about to send them in now again. So ****ing frustrating when you pay high premium and then gets the "nothing wrong with your headphones, enjoy!"-kind of gesture from the apple repair guys.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
This is exactly what I’m experiencing in my left ear. It started after upgrading to the new firmware. At first I thought it was the ear cup, but not so sure now. They have sent me a box to send them in but I worry they won’t hear what I do, white noise.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
My problem was a buzzing sound in the bass in the left ear. Just got a complete replacement today (AppleCare+/Express Replacement) and the new ones are fine. The new ones are on 3C39, so I hope the problem doesn't reappear when the firmware updates.

Update: the problem did not reappear when the firmware updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: alecgold and jazz1

DrumSeb

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2021
I’ve been experiencing the same thing. Watching streaming platforms from Disney+ to ITV Hub, it stutters and cracks like you say. I just assumed it was something to do with the iOS 15 public beta I have installed as I never experienced this before that. Can I ask if you are also on the public beta?
Same thing here. Cracks, stutters. Last firmware was worse for me. This one, only on Disney + as i can see. Very very very annoying. I have few other cheaper bluetooth headphone and no problem.

GreenSword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
Bump. Any other people having these problems? Have been contacted on reddit from more people having these problems. Its almost always when you go high / max volume this problem occurs.

Takeum

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
I had my first 2 pair start to crackle with only having both pairs fail completely with failing to charge,,,I’m now sending my 3 rd set in for repair, but this time it pairs with tv but no sound,,,,sick of these headphones already,,,,my wife uses them to onlywatch tv while I’m in bed,,,it’s her only source of entertainment after a stroke,so they are used, but not abused,,,,water in ear cups is horrible , especially in the south where temperature fluxuation is at its maximum….

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I had some issues for the first time last night with Apple TV. Occasional static and cuts. I'll have to mess with it some more. Hopefully it was just some weird interference. If not, still well under warranty.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I also had this start just last week after owning the same pair for almost a year.
Have AppleCare, got a replacement pair, so far so good.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
My pair just started doing this, white noise sound when ANC/transparency are on.

Reactions: AhmedAli

AhmedAli

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2020
Same here on the left earcup and rarely in both earcups.
It happens mostly with ANC on, less with pass through and doesn’t happen with both off

Kampy1

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
Los Angeles
Just chiming in here to say I'm having the same issue. Like the last 2 posts noted, it only happens with transparency/ANC– static goes away in "off" mode. Mine is in the right ear tho. [edit ] oh now most of the static is in the left ear, it switched!
Just went to local Apple Store for repair and they gotta send them out to a repair center so I'll be without them for at least a couple weeks... which sucks :-/

Last edited:

Kampy1

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
Los Angeles
UPDATE:
Apple support chat said to take them to my local Apple Store, make a repair appointment with Genius Bar, and they would fix them there "on site" but of course when I did that, they said they'd have to be shipped out to a repair center. They only ship out repairs once a week–Friday– and luckily I was there on a Thurs so they went out next day.

They were shipped back to me at home via FedEx 1-day only a few days later, but they were NOT repaired... Like the OP of this thread, I got a letter saying they were "unable to replicate issue, fully tested, no issues found." But when I tried them, I could STILL hear the static... although it seemed quieter than before. But definitely still there. I was frustrated and decided to deal with support again after I got back from holiday travels.

Today, I tried them again for the first time in several days, and the static seems to be gone!

Has anyone else experienced this static issue and then had it go away all on its own, never to come back?

Last edited:

Kampy1

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
Los Angeles
oops... meant to edit my above post but must have clicked reply instead, and now can't figure out how to delete ?‍♂️

Last edited:

Andykaka88

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
I had sent for repair and apparently just gotten a replacement unit a while ago. The issue still persists with static sound! Only when i put fixed spatial audio and the static will be gone.

FRETW1ZARD

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2022
Same issue.

After about 10-20 minutes of listening left earcup starts crackling very loudly. Sometimes a hiss, sometimes a repetitive popping. Present in both noise cancelling mode and transparency mode but goes away in neutral mode which leads me to believe that it is a problem with the microphones. I also suspect it might be caused by moisture condensing in the cold aluminium earcups because it comes on stronger when my hair is damp. Problem occurs regardless of media, device, firmware, and even happens when nothing is playing.

I've sent them off for repair and they couldn't recreate the problem so just sent them back. Problem still there of course.

Many layers of frustration with this. They were the best headphones I've ever used until this started happening. I've never had a pair of wired headphones develop any issues, and of course they were all cheaper and I can't use any of them with my phone. So I'm ready to go full Karen.

Class action lawsuit time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.