Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I just bought the AirPods Max and generally like them, but notice when watching a movie on my iPad Pro, the sound will stutter every so often. I thought it was a buffering problem, but then noticed when it happens my nearby MacBook Pro (2019 model) will show the "AirPods Max Nearby" icon in the upper right corner. It's like when they're pinging or get pinged by my MacBook the sound stutters for a very brief moment.

I searched and didn't find anything like this posted. Has anyone else had this experience or was my search just a failure and there's a thread to reference?

Last edited:

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Is this option in MacOS or in iPhone?
Both.
When you're APM or any AirPod for that matter is connected to an iOS device, go to settings > bluetooth > then click the "i" (info) button for the AirPods.
There will be an option for "Connect to this iPhone/iPad" ... switch from automatically to "When last connected to this device".
You need to do this for each iOS device you have.
Then the same for MacOS. It's System Preferences > Bluetooth > Options (for the AirPods) > Connect to this Mac > "When last connected to this Mac"

It's kind of annoying that you have to manually switch to each device then change the option, but once done, you won't get the sound drop off when it's detected by other devices. Also you won't have it accidentally switch you anymore either.

• Love
Reactions: Fravin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.