Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Lots of songs have "flat" recording that even the best headphones or audio speakers won't change that much the experience. I'm thinking about songs from the early 70s and before. If you listen to some Ariana Grande of course you'll hear the difference from one equipment to another right away, but I have a few songs in my library that are actually very flat and not the best example to judge the equipment quality.

So, I agree him. I wouldn't limit to 1 song but when I try new equipment there are a couple I play first.

I was only wondering why it would make sense to do that. I hope I didn’t come off as bashing. Whatever works for you is what matters. But I guess it may be the same as like texting a certain game on a new device to see if it’ll run it. And if it will, you know you’re safe with other games.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I was only wondering why it would make sense to do that. I hope I didn’t come off as bashing. Whatever works for you is what matters. But I guess it may be the same as like texting a certain game on a new device to see if it’ll run it. And if it will, you know you’re safe with other games.
Also, sound is subjective. Some people prefer different signatures - just because a set of headphones are close to natural as possible does not mean it's the listener's preference. e.g Beats are known for having heavy bass but plenty of people love them, nothing wrong with that. So if you have "go to" tracks that you know you have a reference across all headphones you try.

The great thing is - if you can not tell the difference between headphones - go for the cheapest!!

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Also, sound is subjective. Some people prefer different signatures - just because a set of headphones are close to natural as possible does not mean it's the listener's preference. e.g Beats are known for having heavy bass but plenty of people love them, nothing wrong with that. So if you have "go to" tracks that you know you have a reference across all headphones you try.

The great thing is - if you can not tell the difference between headphones - go for the cheapest!!

I guess I understand. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Amazon is a certified Apple retailer and I assume gets stock directly from Apple. I think the likelihood of a fake is very low to nonexistent. It’s not as if got them from a shady eBay seller. There are no 3rd party sellers of Apple products on Amazon.

DiegoVLatam

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Looks like the space gray AirPods sold at that price are the non returnable. The other ones can be returned, no problem.

Attachments

• 8C3D850C-3158-4947-B92F-031BE4EC3E98.jpeg
    8C3D850C-3158-4947-B92F-031BE4EC3E98.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 182

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen on Amazon. It sure pays to read the fine print.
Yeah, agree, that's extremely odd. I thought maybe it was the policy of a third-party seller, but no, it's shipped/sold by Amazon.

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
I have compared APP and Airpods Max quite a bit and they do not sound the same. APP are great for what they are, but the Max have a whole other sound. "Big driver" sound, more neutral, no tinniness, pipe organs sound "twice as full" - they are very much a music lovers headphone.

Jerrybobbabe

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
Could not return them because Amazon designated them as “hazardous materials” for return shipping. Oh well. I got them on sale.

Anyway, they are growing on me. The tip to go through the sound customization on iOS makes a difference. I’m getting used to the size. And the battery life, relative to AirPods Pro, is great.
Were they only dangerous in one direction? Doesn't make sense. What about returning them to a Amazon drop off location like a nearby whole Foods?

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
I had Beats Solo Pro's before I took the plunge on the APM's and out the box couldn't hear a difference, was about to send them back but decided to fiddle around with settings, went into Settings > Music > EQ and turned it to off and the difference was night and day.

The EQ setting has been in the music app since day one probably to compensate for how bad the old EarPods were, I still had it set to On must have transferred through every iPhone I've had when upgrading but I think if this is on it'll cancel out the effects of the adaptive EQ in the APM's.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I had Beats Solo Pro's before I took the plunge on the APM's and out the box couldn't hear a difference, was about to send them back but decided to fiddle around with settings, went into Settings > Music > EQ and turned it to off and the difference was night and day.

The EQ setting has been in the music app since day one probably to compensate for how bad the old EarPods were, I still had it set to On must have transferred through every iPhone I've had when upgrading but I think if this is on it'll cancel out the effects of the adaptive EQ in the APM's.
Nah, its first party everything, they all play nice together. EQ on phone wont hamper AEQ on the airpods.

Mt44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Took the plunge with the $439 AirPods Max deal on Amazon. Thoughts, after having them on for a few hours:

• They are hot. I live in Florida, and it’s not hot right now. Can’t quite imagine these in July.
• Noise cancelling is really excellent.

And here’s the one where I get skewered:

• I can’t tell much difference in sound between the Max and the Pros. They both sound great to me ?

Not 100% decided yet, but I think these are going back. They’re very good. Just not $300 better than the AirPods Pro.

At least to my apparently untrained ear.
Yeah, after spending ~6 weeks with these bad boys, I was very wrong.

They sound great. I use them all the time.

Terrible take by me. ?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have had all different versions of the AirPods and now drive all three -gen2 AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and AirPods 3. They all cater to somewhat different use cases, although AirPods 3 bridge AirPods and AirPods Pro.
  • AirPods - most casual listening while on the Mac or iPad, no separation from the environment.
  • AirPods Pro - ambient noise reduction, higher quality audio including Atmos.
  • AirPods 3 - the cross of the best features of above. Amazing sound without being a closed in bud, very comfortable.
  • AirPods Max - critical listening including wired for audio production (no BlueTooth delay.) I also use other cans for that - Sennheiser and Denons.
In the end, the ones I have been using the most all-around are the AirPods 3!

I also have Beats X and now Flex for exercise and work in the yard. AirPods do not stay well enough in my ears for that.

Reactions: Mt44

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I have had all different versions of the AirPods and now drive all three -gen2 AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and AirPods 3. They all cater to somewhat different use cases, although AirPods 3 bridge AirPods and AirPods Pro.
  • AirPods - most casual listening while on the Mac or iPad, no separation from the environment.
  • AirPods Pro - ambient noise reduction, higher quality audio including Atmos.
  • AirPods 3 - the cross of the best features of above. Amazing sound without being a closed in bud, very comfortable.
  • AirPods Max - critical listening including wired for audio production (no BlueTooth delay.) I also use other cans for that - Sennheiser and Denons.
In the end, the ones I have been using the most all-around are the AirPods 3!

I also have Beats X and now Flex for exercise and work in the yard. AirPods do not stay well enough in my ears for that.

And yet, you only have one pair of ears...

• Haha
Reactions: Htsi

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Yeah, after spending ~6 weeks with these bad boys, I was very wrong.

They sound great. I use them all the time.

Terrible take by me. ?
Don't feel bad. I couldn't wait to get home to try mine when I picked 'em up on launch morning, so I listened to them for a bit in the car while sitting in the mall parking lot. My initial reaction was to be thoroughly unimpressed, and I considered walking right back into the store to return them. Decided to keep them for a few weeks, just for the heck of it. Glad I did – just needed a little time to get used to them, and I now love them and use them almost every day, as opposed to my old pair of Bose 700s, which were ok, but not really anything to get excited about and usually just sat on the stand most of the time.

Reactions: Mt44 and artfossil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.