Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I like my AirPods but it's driving me mad that I can't stop/start music with a double tap. Well actually I can, but only if I completely disable Siri functionality. There is one AirPod in each ear and they both support tapping controls. Why on earth can't I designate one side to Siri and the other to Play/Pause. I also find that removing one AirPod to pause playback is a very poor substitute. The main reason being that when I remove one it is natural for me to grip it with my hand. But this activates the proximity sensor which makes them resume playback. I think one side should be for Siri and the other for playback. When only one AirPod is worn the tapping gesture could default to Siri.

Don't even get me started on "skip track" which I also miss a lot. I would settle for at least play/pause.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I like my AirPods but it's driving me mad that I can't stop/start music with a double tap. Well actually I can, but only if I completely disable Siri functionality. There is one AirPod in each ear and they both support tapping controls. Why on earth can't I designate one side to Siri and the other to Play/Pause. I also find that removing one AirPod to pause playback is a very poor substitute. The main reason being that when I remove one it is natural for me to grip it with my hand. But this activates the proximity sensor which makes them resume playback. I think one side should be for Siri and the other for playback. When only one AirPod is worn the tapping gesture could default to Siri.

Don't even get me started on "skip track" which I also miss a lot. I would settle for at least play/pause.
I agree that it'd be nice to distinguish between ears for tapping, however as someone that only uses one Airpod at a time for work I'm not sure it's going to be Apple's intention to make gestures only work in one pod mode vs both.

Either way, expect changes in functionality once the firmware for these gets updated down the road. They've built in components that allow for more functionality, but as with most things I suspect they're using the initial release to collect usage data en masse to figure out their implementation going forward.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hehehe. You do know if you miss that "feature," there are many out there that would do what you want for 1/4 or 1/2 the price of an Airpod right.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I agree that it'd be nice to distinguish between ears for tapping, however as someone that only uses one Airpod at a time for work I'm not sure it's going to be Apple's intention to make gestures only work in one pod mode vs both.

Either way, expect changes in functionality once the firmware for these gets updated down the road. They've built in components that allow for more functionality, but as with most things I suspect they're using the initial release to collect usage data en masse to figure out their implementation going forward.

When you use just one AirPod for work, is that to listen to music? I think most people like to use both AirPods for listening to music so my suggestion is that using both would enable split functionality and using only one AirPod would default to Siri functionality.

What components are built in that allow for more functionality?
[doublepost=1482352026][/doublepost]
Hehehe. You do know if you miss that "feature," there are many out there that would do what you want for 1/4 or 1/2 the price of an Airpod right.

Yeah but they don't have the W1 chip and are in turn missing other features that the AirPods support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.