Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsAndrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
My AirPods are not connecting to my iPhone or MacBook Pro at all. I press the reset button on the back for 15 minutes and nothing happens. When I open my AirPods case with my AirPods inside nothing pops up on my iPhone screen. What should I do?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My AirPods don't show anything on the iPhone screen after initial pairing for me (iPhone 6S with iOS 13.0) but work fine. Not long ago one Pod did a weird ball bouncing sound effect and wouldn't work and the case still had enough charge and the Pods showed a green light while in the case. Never found out what that sound meant and my Watch saw the Pods but refused to connect (spinning circle of eternity). I ended up rebooting both Phone and Watch and they worked fine afterwards. Never figured out the issue but my iPhone wouldn't do anything with BlueTooth and my watch was on Wifi despite my phone being next to it. Must have been a driver crash on the phone causing the whole thing. Try rebooting the devices you use your AirPods with.

ItsAndrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2020
My AirPods don't show anything on the iPhone screen after initial pairing for me (iPhone 6S with iOS 13.0) but work fine. Not long ago one Pod did a weird ball bouncing sound effect and wouldn't work and the case still had enough charge and the Pods showed a green light while in the case. Never found out what that sound meant and my Watch saw the Pods but refused to connect (spinning circle of eternity). I ended up rebooting both Phone and Watch and they worked fine afterwards. Never figured out the issue but my iPhone wouldn't do anything with BlueTooth and my watch was on Wifi despite my phone being next to it. Must have been a driver crash on the phone causing the whole thing. Try rebooting the devices you use your AirPods with.
I've rebooted the devices numerous times. No light is showing up at all which is very strange, and I don't think they need to be charged.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
So your case has no light at all? doesn't that mean it's completely discharged? Should be green for full, amber for half and red/none for dead. Might try charging the case and see.

rogertoh16

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
i face the same problem. Pressing button to reset and it didn’t pair, nothing is working. I try on my wife iPhone and it work.
Therefore I did a network reset on my iphone As it reset the blue tooth connection as well. Surprising it work pairing like what other forum suggest.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My iPhone is quite old so it gets goofy with LTE and BlueTooth a week after use if you don't reboot it. The problems also translate to my Watch. This week my AirPods started to cut in and out and what was happening was my phone (connected to CarPlay in my truck but parked near where I work just in borderline range of my Watch) was connecting and disconnecting to my watch/Pods causing the music to stop and go. Had to go and turn off Bluetooth on my phone to get them to behave.

My Bluetooth on my phone crashes if it runs out of memory (the icon also vanishes from status bar) and my AirPods will not connect to the phone period if that happens. They also won't connect to my watch if I open more than 5 apps on the watch (runs out of memory, and stops connecting to anything othe than wifi). That was what made that unusual ball bouncing noise out of my AirPods a few weeks ago. Some kind of 'can't find a nearby device' sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.