Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank3rd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Does this happen to you with your AirPods? When using Spotify and I remove an earbud the music does not pause. When I remove the other one, again, it does not pause. It actually funnels the sound to the Mac speakers.

I am used to taking out my EarPods when someone comes to my desk, but now, the music will start blaring.

It works like it is supposed to with iTunes though. Meh. Sounds like they only want it to work with iTunes/Apple Music. On my iPhone with Spotify, it pauses.

Do you think they will work the same with Spotify in the future?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Mac users should be using Apple Music anyway. It's vastly superior and works beautifully across all your devices.

Have you tried using AirPods with any other Mac apps that play audio? VLC for example.

I doubt Apple wants to lock this down on a Mac. More likely developers may need to add support to their apps maybe there's new APIs for example in a recent macOS build specifically for AirPods.

Reactions: Sharkey311

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I can't even connect mine to my Mac mini. It shows up on my iPad and watch but no matter what I try to do I can't get them on my Mac. Any ideas?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Does this happen to you with your AirPods? When using Spotify and I remove an earbud the music does not pause. When I remove the other one, again, it does not pause. It actually funnels the sound to the Mac speakers.

I am used to taking out my EarPods when someone comes to my desk, but now, the music will start blaring.

It works like it is supposed to with iTunes though. Meh. Sounds like they only want it to work with iTunes/Apple Music. On my iPhone with Spotify, it pauses.

How is Apple going to make third party apps that aren't their own pause?

Reactions: omgitscro

samcow

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
Mac users should be using Apple Music anyway. It's vastly superior and works beautifully across all your devices.

Ha, talk about a minority opinion.

As to Spotify, yea this happens to me also - I can't imagine this won't be fixed in the near future.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I think that's how it is supposed to work. I believe it's a feature.
[doublepost=1482310145][/doublepost]
I can't even connect mine to my Mac mini. It shows up on my iPad and watch but no matter what I try to do I can't get them on my Mac. Any ideas?

What Mac OS are you on ? I think you need to be on 10.0.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014

Have the exact same thing. By removing one Airpod the music doesn't pause. It just keeps playing through the Airpod that's still in my ear. If I remove both it plays through the speakers of my MBA.
[doublepost=1482318090][/doublepost]

Pair them with the pair button on the back of the charging case. I had the same problem. Should've known this iCloud pairing was never going to work...

Apple & cloud... Lol.
[doublepost=1482319105][/doublepost]

Just tried logging out & back in to iCloud on my MBA. This fixes the issue too!

Reactions: Sharkey311

Hank3rd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
I hope that it will work some day with Spotify. I do not want to pay for Apple Music since I do not really listen enough to justify paying for it. I Listen maybe half hour to an hour a day on days that I do.

I guess I will have to just deal with it.

Pandora just keeps it going through the pods regardless if they are in the ear or not. You tube will not pause with one out, but will change to mac output with both out. Both in Safari with different reactions.

jeek

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
FYI - it does not work out of the box, but Spotify updated their app around Thursday to support the pause function. I'm really happy with it now!

Reactions: MacSimpson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.