Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samichang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Hello,

I've been using AirPods Pro 2 since last November and have been really satisfied with the performance of the ANC. But all this changed since the update from yesterday. I first noticed it in my office today. There is an AC that produces a bit of low rumble which my AirPods had no trouble of cancelling out. But today after I put them on, I immediately noticed the difference and thought I'd accidentally turned off the ANC. So I went to check in the settings and ANC was on. There is a supermarket on my way home, where I almost stop by everyday after work and my AirPods had no trouble of cancelling out the hum from the freezers, but today I could hear the hum faintly but very clearly. Also when I took the subway home, I could hear people talking 4-5 meters away from me which I never did. Before the updated, I could barely hear people talking next to me. I understand that this might only be my case and may not happen to every one. And before you tell me that this is placebo. I'm a professional musician for the past 20 years and I can confidently say that I trust my ears and what I hear.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
I’m an audio engineer, and can confirm.
After the update I have noticed more low frequency rumble and upper high frequencies getting through the ANC on my APP2’s while at the gym.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Waiting for people telling that automatic background updates are good for us…

I suggest writing “kind” feedback to Apple about it.

In safari visit following page
applefeedback://

Or use shortcut:

Reactions: huanbrother

pinkkie

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2022
Has anyone even tried flashing older firmware on AirPods Pro or Max? I doubt the SoC is as secured against tampering as the one on iPhone or Watch, they are just headphones after all, right? Any efforts in this field?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
I have such a love hate relationship with airpods pro’s, ever since I got them near release. They’re so amazing, but it’s always been the exact same story with the 1st gen too. Other than them breaking like every two months, the ANC would always gradually get worse, because not only did replacement airpods wow me with their ANC performance every time, but also nothing ever came close to how good the ANC was in the very first month of ownership.

It’s such a shame. Here I am still using my gen 1’s, the left airpod is again having issues for the 10th time now, and ofcourse the ANC is so mediocre now, but my AppleCare+ has long run out. The issues make me want to buy some gen 2’s, but then I read that it’s literally the exact same story again and I just don’t know if I want to go through that again.

Why is it so hard for apple to make AirPods Pro’s that actually work consistently for atleast the life of their batteries?? It’s borderline unacceptable.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I can tell it’s also nerf in Gen1, damn you apple 🍎.
Same song, same voice limited by hear protecting settings and I can hear way more background like people talking and static noise mentioned already.

Reactions: TheSynchronizer

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
If we"re just going with anecdotal evidence, I haven't noticed any worse ANC with my launch-day APP2. Just saying.

spreenco

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2023
no need to rely on anecdotal evidence: there is a fix!!

you can reset the firmware. put them in the case, leave the lid open, press the button for 15 seconds.

nvm that doesn’t revert the firmware. it does seem to fix the problem for a while for me? not sure. anyway:

might this be a result of their IP lawsuit?? it’s almost a class action waiting to happen because they did 100% make their product worse and I
hate it

Quasselstripper

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2016
Southern Germany
no need to rely on anecdotal evidence: there is a fix!!

you can reset the firmware. put them in the case, leave the lid open, press the button for 15 seconds.

the important question is: how do we stop them from automatically updating? also, might this be a result of their IP lawsuit?? it’s almost a class action waiting to happen because they did 100% make their product worse and I
hate it
Interesting, which IP lawsuit?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
If we"re just going with anecdotal evidence, I haven't noticed any worse ANC with my launch-day APP2. Just saying.
What else do we have but anecdotal evidence! Makes me steam when I hear that. Sound engineer, musician and others seem to have noticed differences.

My APP gen 1 have started the rattle in the left bud again. Apple will no longer replace them (new ones issued in 2021).

I love the ecosystem integration but I am seriously considering replacing mine with another manufacturer.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
What else do we have but anecdotal evidence! Makes me steam when I hear that. Sound engineer, musician and others seem to have noticed differences.

My APP gen 1 have started the rattle in the left bud again. Apple will no longer replace them (new ones issued in 2021).

I love the ecosystem integration but I am seriously considering replacing mine with another manufacturer.
What else besides anecdotal evidence? How about actual testing data?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
The latest APP firmware 5E135 is not on your diagram so this impressive looking data sheet is not relevant one way or the other.
That's the whole point! Rather than anecdotal "evidence" of diminished ANC performance, it would be great to see actual data, like what I posted.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I don’t need to see data. My ears work fine. I don’t need confirmation that they once again screwed with the ANC, because my ears tell me they did.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I don’t need to see data. My ears work fine. I don’t need confirmation that they once again screwed with the ANC, because my ears tell me they did.
But that's just the thing...I watched a YT video of an audio engineer who has tested multiple firmwares on the APP. In a poll, 30% of his audience were convinced the ANC was worse after a recent update. He proved definitively that it wasn't, and it had actually improved in the midrange with no change at high end or lows. A subjective opinion does not override objective data.

• Love
Reactions: mavis

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
But that's just the thing...I watched a YT video of an audio engineer who has tested multiple firmwares on the APP. In a poll, 30% of his audience were convinced the ANC was worse after a recent update. He proved definitively that it wasn't, and it had actually improved in the midrange with no change at high end or lows. A subjective opinion does not override objective data.

So the video you are referencing is testing older firmware.

I found I video from the same guy where he tests the latest firmware.
There is a difference after the update, you can hear it, and so can he though he feels it’s not that much.

As an audio mixer myself, I question his testing process though, whether or not it aligns with my observations. ANC is a tricky beast. A slight change observed with his setup might not be so slight when someone is listening on a train.
Also, I hear a phase shift between his examples and that’s more likely on him than Apple.

So, on the one hand are people are using gut instinct to perceive changes, And I’m well versed in how humankind and convince themselves something if different when it not.
The other hand- pseudo experts performing flawed tests half knowing what they’re doing no matter how good their intentions.

Last edited:
Reactions: addamas

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019

He very clearly states there’s a difference in the latest firmware.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
He very clearly states there’s a difference in the latest firmware.
Yes, and you completely missed the point of my post. Which was to highlight the fact that up to 30% of people swear there is a difference (subjective opinion), yet the objective data shows otherwise. Hence why objective data is as important, if not more so than subjective data.

• Love
Reactions: mavis and whsbuss

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Yes, and you completely missed the point of my post. Which was to highlight the fact that up to 30% of people swear there is a difference (subjective opinion), yet the objective data shows otherwise. Hence why objective data is as important, if not more so than subjective data.
And you keep missing my point, which is that I immediately noticed a difference, which means there’s a difference. And no amount of people agreeing with that or disagreeing with it will change the fact that I noticed a difference.

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
I’ve noticed no difference. So that’s all I’m really concerned with.

Reactions: mavis

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I have noticed lately that mine don’t seem to cancel noise as well as before. I can’t say exactly when it started though. I thought maybe the tips were damaged or worn out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.