Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Has anyone tried using their AirPods Pro 2's on an airplane yet? I won't have a chance for a while, it would be nice just to use these instead of bringing my Beats Studio 3's.

Thanks

house1999

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
I just took them on a short 2 hour flight this week. They are an improvement over the 1st gen. Completely cancels the lower frequency rumble, but with no music playing, you can still hear some of the high frequency whine and muffled conversation when someone is talking very loudly in the row behind you the whole flight. Once you start playing music at low to moderate volume, all that is drowned out.

Reactions: KO7 and Minarets

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
I just took them on a short 2 hour flight this week. They are an improvement over the 1st gen. Completely cancels the lower frequency rumble, but with no music playing, you can still hear some of the high frequency whine and muffled conversation when someone is talking very loudly in the row behind you the whole flight. Once you start playing music at low to moderate volume, all that is drowned out.
Thank you!

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I used mine on a transatlantic flight and it completely blocked all noise, even the crying toddler somewhere behind me. When I took them off, I couldn’t believe how noisy the cabin actually was! (Boeing 777)

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I used mine on a transatlantic flight and it completely blocked all noise, even the crying toddler somewhere behind me. When I took them off, I couldn’t believe how noisy the cabin actually was! (Boeing 777)
Agree they are very good on plane - Used them on short easyJet flights 1.5 hrs and very effective - in fact better than the connected Bose in ear ones I had with me and they sound much better
Also in Dutch trains Intercity and local ones they also were excellent on ANC - I much prefer the ANC Off to the non ANC other setting to listen to announcements
Keepers for me !

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Agree they are very good on plane - Used them on short easyJet flights 1.5 hrs and very effective - in fact better than the connected Bose in ear ones I had with me and they sound much better
Also in Dutch trains Intercity and local ones they also were excellent on ANC - I much prefer the ANC Off to the non ANC other setting to listen to announcements
Keepers for me !
Meant Transparency mode (Non ANC setting)

vitale

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
I'll be flying on the 4th with them as well. I'm excited to see how they perform.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I have been on 4 cross country flights in last 2 weeks and they are unbelievable. So much better than my Gen 1. And ANC is better than beats fit pro. And I think sound quality is similar to beats fit pro.

KO7

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2020
Canada
That's been my experience in the short time that I've had the APP2 while sitting in a coffee shop with conversations going on a few feet away from me.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Did you feel any pressure build up? I had a 2 hour flight last week and it took 2 days for my right ear to return to regular. I usually use over the ear headphones but decided to switch to Airpods pro 2.

I just made a thread for it but I had a ton of audio drop out in high populated areas around the airport.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.