Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
I upgraded from AirPods Pro first generation to the second generation and having issue with the quality of the microphones. People I speak to are always saying they struggle to hear me, particularly in slightly noisier environments. It doesn't seem to matter whether I set the microphone mode to Wide Spectrum, Standard or Voice Isolation, it is always an issue. I decided to get them replaced under AppleCare+ warranty but the replacement seems to be the same.

I contrast this to my old AirPods Pro where this really wasn't an issue. I often cycle with my AirPods and I used to be able to trigger Siri easily while cycling to initiate a call or send a message. With AirPods Pro 2, I cannot even get Siri to hear me.

Anyone else noticed this? Have we actually lost microphone quality in the second generation?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
The mic does appear to be slightly worse outside especially with wind. If it was marginal before, then you might have gone over the edge to it not working. There is slightly more focused pickup of your voice but it does seem to be lower in level.

When stationary / indoors I actually find the pickup of the 2 noticeably better in terms of it picking up less background noise.

Reactions: ryanmp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.