Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenethorLenwion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
With the new update of the AirPods Pro 2 it's now possible to mute/unmute with the single press on the stem — and it's working really nice on my iPhone with iOS 17 beta. But when I do the press when the AirPods are connected to my MacBook Pro on Sonoma beta (Intel-based 16" if that matters), I receive a notification "Cannot control Mic with AirPods". Tried during calls on Skype and Teams (Teams are working fine on iPhone). Couldn't find anything related in the Settings (checked Accessibility and Privacy tabs).
Any clues? Is there some setting I should enable, or is it only working on iPhones at the moment? Thanks!

jonponton

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2023
I have the exact same experience. I really hope to see this change as it will be a very helpful feature for someone who uses Teams (or similar apps) extensively for work.

juandanielserra

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
Getting the same behavior, working on iphone but not on Mac (M1 if that matters :))...tried on a Zoom and a Google Meets call. Hopefully gets fixed soon.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'm guessing it needs the new Mac OS for that feature which is releasing today.

juandanielserra

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
yes I'm on Sonoma beta as well. It is a beta though might be fixed in a future release. Good to know it's not just me

superandrew

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
On Sonoma, still not fixed, but i have this popup

1695823696028.png

Which i'm pretty sure wasn't there on Ventura (but might be wrong)

cosy_ced

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
Yep, even when I record a video with Photo Booth, the same notification appears: "Cannot Control Mic with AirPods". Hopefully, Apple will fix this soon. It was one of the features I've been waiting for.
I upgraded yesterday after the public release.

dogapoyraz

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Hey people I am using edge and was able to use mute/unmute button to start and hold youtube videos. It was working for last video or mp3 that was activated.

now I am also having the same issue.

Does anyone know if this is updated?

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
I am surprised to learn that this is a problem. My normal work headset was not functioning today, so I paired my AirPods Pro with my MacBook Pro and when I single-pressed to mute, I got the "Cannot control Mic with AirPods" message. I am not sure why they require interfacing with the software to mute, rather than just muting on the AirPods themselves.

I could not get it to mute in ANY application on my work Mac. However, I was curious and started up a phone call from my personal Mac (highlighted a company's phone number on their site and chose the call option), and muting did work there. Did not work in any other calling apps, however. If it has to be done on an app-by-app basis, I fear this feature will not come to many (read: any) third-party applications.

Should note that my personal Mac is on the latest Sonoma beta as well.

grausof

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Hi, reading this thread gave me the idea of developing an app for the Mac that would solve this problem. You can find the related thread here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.