Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ak_ree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Is anyone experiencing an issue with their APP2 not charging with the smaller ear tips? My left bud wasn’t working and wasn’t charging either so I put the medium tip back on and now it’s charging and working. The right bud works just fine with the smaller tip and the left works fine once I charge it with a larger one even if I do change the ear tip to the extra small (for reference I did buy these second hand and worry maybe something is wrong with the ear bud and that’s why I got such a great deal but straight out the box they were perfect charged fine it’s only the last hour or so the left bud is giving me problems. I just got them today so haven’t had much time with them but after the left bud stopped working after use I troubleshooted and tried changing out the ear tips as a last ditch effort to fix it since it would play sound and it worked)

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I sometimes have the problem that the right ear bud doesn't charge, I'm using the default ear tips though. I think it's some sort of loose contact, which is unrelated to the used ear tip.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I sometimes have the problem that the right ear bud doesn't charge, I'm using the default ear tips though. I think it's some sort of loose contact, which is unrelated to the used ear tip.
Are you sure? Sometimes I find optimized battery charging prevents the AirPods from charging, even one at a time occasionally.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
make sure everything is clean

wipe off the stem of the AirPod , with a cloth or even your fingers. and get a q-tip and clean out the hole in the case, both the deep part the stem goes in, and the top part where the tips sit. you shouldn't need to use any kind of cleaning fluid. If you have even just a small piece of dirt in the bottom can stop it from making good contact which prevents charging. Sometimes, even a quick blow is enough to dislodge anything stuck in the bottom if you don't have a q-tip handy.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Are you sure? Sometimes I find optimized battery charging prevents the AirPods from charging, even one at a time occasionally.
Yes I'm sure. The one ear bud is at 0% charged and I have to fiddle around to get it to charge. If it's optimized battery charging it's at 80% and iOS tells me about it and I have the option to fully charge.

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

StoneShaders

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023
Posting just to gather some voice, and hopefully there's more supporting evidence from other people on this issue.

I have (almost) exactly the same issue.

- AirPod Pro 2
- Using "S" size ear tip (both sides)
- Left bud not charging, right bud working just fine
- First-hand AirPods Pro 2
- All parts are genuine (including ear tips)

Edit: also, already tried cleaning the case with q-tips and the dust blower that people used to clean camera lenses, they did not solve the issue.

90% of the time it will not charge when I put it in the case on first try. I could either take it out and put it back in again and keep on repeating until it charges, or, push the left bud towards the center of the case horizontally (not downwards into the slot). Then the charging indicator will light up, but more than 50% of the time when I do this, as soon as I release my fingers, it will stop charging again… which made me suspect it was the ear tip causing the problem.

Since mine is still under warranty, I sent them back for inspection/repair.

1st time: I thought only the left bud had problems, but the technician said both sides had charging problems, so both sides were replaced.

2nd time: 2 months later the same problem occurred, from rarely not charging to often. The frequency increases as if something is degrading, but if it's the ear tips causing the problem, then this doesn't explain anything because they have never been replaced before (procedure: ear tips to be removed before handing in for inspection). This time the technician said there was nothing wrong with them.

At the time of writing, it's been another 2 months since the second inspection. Probably gonna send it back for the third time but mentioning that the ear tips are highly suspected to be preventing the charging connectors from contacting properly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.