Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2015
So I've had my AirPods Pro 2 for about 12 days now and had a couple of flights recently. The audio cut outs are awful at Denver airport when in the gate area (especially Terminal B), I'm talking at least 20 seconds of silence or static intermittently during 60 seconds of audio. Its worse if when I'm around a large amount of people and gets better around the food courts/train area. I experienced the same at other airports in Chicago and NYC. Smaller airports its been fine.

I'll occasionally have this happen at home, seems to happen when I wake up my iPad, Mac Mini or ATV and see's that the AirPods are nearby.

Anyone else dealing with this? Are mine defective? I didn't have this with my Galaxy Buds+ and definitely didn't with my Bose QuietComfort 3 that I've been flying with for 7+ years. I thought the W1 and H2 technologies were supposed to be better than bluetooth?

I'm using a 13Pro Max 1TB.

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
I have not had my APP2 long enough to measure such things, but at the moment I do not remember what you are describing at various domestic and international airports in addition to flying 717s to 320s to 359s.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
So I've had my AirPods Pro 2 for about 12 days now and had a couple of flights recently. The audio cut outs are awful at Denver airport when in the gate area (especially Terminal B), I'm talking at least 20 seconds of silence or static intermittently during 60 seconds of audio. Its worse if when I'm around a large amount of people and gets better around the food courts/train area. I experienced the same at other airports in Chicago and NYC. Smaller airports its been fine.

I'll occasionally have this happen at home, seems to happen when I wake up my iPad, Mac Mini or ATV and see's that the AirPods are nearby.

Anyone else dealing with this? Are mine defective? I didn't have this with my Galaxy Buds+ and definitely didn't with my Bose QuietComfort 3 that I've been flying with for 7+ years. I thought the W1 and H2 technologies were supposed to be better than bluetooth?

I'm using a 13Pro Max 1TB.
It's all the AirTags in big airports. No, really, I had this same issue while trying out an AirTag last year.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2015
It's all the AirTags in big airports. No, really, I had this same issue while trying out an AirTag last year.
I believe it, though I don't have any issues tracking mine but I imagine there's a ton of interference going on when you're in an area with hundreds of iPhones, there's only so many channels/spectrum.

I have not had my APP2 long enough to measure such things, but at the moment I do not remember what you are describing at various domestic and international airports in addition to flying 717s to 320s to 359s.
My issue occurs at the gate/waiting areas of these large airports, not on the actual plane.

Reactions: sorgo †

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2015
I've been thinking and wonder if what I experienced was the spatialize stereo setting freaking out. I had it disabled everywhere else except for when you go to control center, hold down the volume slider and turn it off there. (I'm not a fan of spatial audio anyway)

I'll share here on my next trip to the airport.

Reactions: matrix07

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
I have one AirTag each in two pieces of luggage that I carry on the plane. However, I spend most of my time in a lounge and go to the gate near the time for boarding.
There was a time that I stood in a boarding line with AirPods in place, but those days are in my rearview mirror.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.