Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hi all, just a quick couple of questions regarding the Airpods Pro 2.

How much better are they than the first generation? Apple says the noise cancellation is significantly better but I have my doubts. Do they sound much better than the original Pros? Better bass? Again Apple says they do but I don’t know.

Also since they now have USB C (which is the main reason why I’m considering them because now I can finally go lightning free) Do they charge any faster?

Thanks all for reading and if there’s any other information you can give me to make up my mind even more please share.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
why are they so slow to charge does anyone know?
First, I made up the 25% number. I have never found the AirPods slow to charge. In fact, you can put them in the case for 10-15 minutes and go from almost zero to 50% or more. I think that's pretty fast. Second, I can't think of any reason the AirPods Pro 2 should charge any faster than the version 1. It's the same battery technology.

Reactions: scrane

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
First, I made up the 25% number. I have never found the AirPods slow to charge. In fact, you can put them in the case for 10-15 minutes and go from almost zero to 50% or more. I think that's pretty fast. Second, I can't think of any reason the AirPods Pro 2 should charge any faster than the version 1. It's the same battery technology.
I know the actual airpods charge fast, but im talking about the case, it charges very slow for me because its only 5w

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Are you charging it wirelessly? I find the AirPods charge super fast when plugged in. Wireless can be slow for sure.

I have APP 1 and APP 2. I haven't noticed any real difference in charging but in neither case would I describe it as slow.

Noise cancellation is noticeably better though.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Are you charging it wirelessly? I find the AirPods charge super fast when plugged in. Wireless can be slow for sure.

I have APP 1 and APP 2. I haven't noticed any real difference in charging but in neither case would I describe it as slow.

Noise cancellation is noticeably better though.
Like how fast do you think the case charges?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
With the AirPods removed, wired charging:

APP: From 50% after 10 minutes it was up to 61%.
APP2: From 58% after 10 minutes it was up to 68%.

So from my super quick one pass unscientific test, no real difference.

Reactions: waw74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.