Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Hi there, friends!
First, a short introduction to what this thread is about.
I use an iPhone 12 Pro max, and I love to go for walks while listening to music.
For years, I've been an "Apple only" man. I've used the original EarPods (from the 3,5mm jack version to the lightning version), the AirPods v1 and v2, AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. Back when the iPhone came with a 3,5mm jack port, I tried different brands, like Sennheiser, B&O, NAD, Sony and Bowers&Wilkins. But, as the 3,5mm was removed, I kinda just stuck with Apple´s AirPods in different versions. And, I've been happy with them. Good sound quality for the price, easy integration between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook, iconic look, and "it's Apple" (yes, I am a fanboy).
I always like to have one in-ear model and one over-ear model, depending on the weather and where I go.
So, my current line-up is the AirPods Pro and the AirPods Max. And, I love both.
But, a few weeks ago, I found the brand new Sony WF-1000XM4 at BestBuy, and having read some great reviews, I did something I never thought I'd do. I went ahead and bought a pair.
At first, I wasn't too blown away. I thought the bass was "too much", the sound was "too dark", and I thought it was less detailed than my AirPods Pro. But, I decided to give it some time, and as days have turned into weeks, I just love them. They bring the excitement back in music. Deep bass, very "musical" and goes well with most musical genres. And the ANC is great!
I put the AirPods Pro back in my ears yesterday, and I couldn't believe how "tame" they sounded. Quite a bit more comfortable, yes, but not as exciting sounding as the Sonys, and not as good ANC.
The best thing about them, is the ability to play spatial audio, but I'm not sure if that's enough to win me over again.
At the same time, the APPs might be more "neutral" and accurate. I don't know. Maybe the Sonys are just tuned to sound artificially "good"?
So, this got me to think about the over-ear model, WH-1000XM4, which I don't own. Are they worth getting over the AirPods Max, that I currently own? The APMs are great sounding, but I thought the same thing about the APPs until I got to hear the WF-1000XM4.
So, do you think I will get the same "awakening" if I go with the over-ear version? Are they better than the APMs?
In a way it makes sense that the Sonys sound better, because they have been in the audio business for so many years. Just think of what they have helped develop - the CD format, the WalkMan, MiniDisc, etc. They are more an "audio brand" than Apple, which I consider to be more of a technology company.
But, at the same time, it also makes sense that Apple makes the best accessories for their products, therefore there should be no better alternative for the iPhone than Apple's own products (in this case, the AirPods).
At the same time, the same thing can be said about other accessories, like iPhone cases. There might actually be better options for an iPhone case from a different company than Apple itself.
But, I'm digressing...
What line-up would you guys have chosen for listening to music on the go? AirPods Pro and AirPods Max or Sony WF-1000XM4 and Sony WH-1000XM4?
I'm asking here, because most reviewers of the Sony products seem to use Android, and are able to utilize the LDAC codec, etc. But, I want the best sound from my iPhone (I'm NOT changing to Android).
If you've made it this far, congratulations - and I hope to get some input.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I want the best sound from my iPhone
Then you shouldn't be buying Bluetooth headphones :)

You have your own particular sound tastes, like everyone else, so why ask someone, who probable have a very different sound taste, to recommend you something ?

No matter how many vids you look at from users, reviewers and supposed Audiophiles, they all give you a different answer.
If you can, try them all yourself and make your own choice :)

With Blutooth headphones it is more about the overall sound, integration and user experience then the best audio quality :)

Reactions: Telesmurfen

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
I totally agree with you - iPhone and Bluetooth headphones is not of course not an "audiophile setup". Still, there are some Bluetooth headphones (and speakers) that are good enough, when you're out walking. I don't want to carry any dongles or external DACs.
So, my question was more to hear wether somebody in here has the Apple variation (APP + APM) or the Sony variation (WH-1000XM4 and WF-1000XM4), or both, and care to share their impressions and experiences.
I´m particularly interested in the WH-1000XM4, as I don't have those. How do they compare to the AirPods Max? Comfort, size and sound.
I have a pair of WH-1000XM4 ready for pick-up this afternoon, to check for myself...

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Pretty sure you don't need APP for spatial audio. The Dolby Atmos tracks work fine on my non-Apple earbuds.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Yeah, they work, but I don’t think you get true Dolby Atmos from many other headphones than Apple’s AirPods models and some Beats models. Speaking of… have any of you tried the Beats solo pro? How do they sound?

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I totally agree with you - iPhone and Bluetooth headphones is not of course not an "audiophile setup". Still, there are some Bluetooth headphones (and speakers) that are good enough, when you're out walking. I don't want to carry any dongles or external DACs.
So, my question was more to hear wether somebody in here has the Apple variation (APP + APM) or the Sony variation (WH-1000XM4 and WF-1000XM4), or both, and care to share their impressions and experiences.
I´m particularly interested in the WH-1000XM4, as I don't have those. How do they compare to the AirPods Max? Comfort, size and sound.
I have a pair of WH-1000XM4 ready for pick-up this afternoon, to check for myself...
I had the AirPods Max for a week and I took them back to Best Buy this afternoon and exchanged them for the Sony WH-1000XM4. I was not satisfied with the APM due to these reasons:
1. Comfort was decent. It felt heavy on my head within a hour of using them. It caused neck strain to me and I still feeling the strain.
2. I did not like the the smart case that it came with.
3. After 3 days of usage, it produced condensation (known issue) in the ear cups.
4. The volume on the APM were low. I had to increase the volume up to 80% to have decent volume on my iPhone 12, MBA M1, and ATV4k.
5. No power button. A few times, the APM drained about 10%of battery overnight
6. The price on the APM, even the sale price is not worth it to me.

The only thing I liked about the APM was the auto-switching on my Apple devices.

My early impressions are so far the Sony WH-1000XM4 is an excellent headphone. I like that the Sony Connect Headphone app has an equalizer with several presets and 2 custom equalizers. Sound quality is excellent after equalizing to your preference settings, but I have to wait for them to be fully break-in into. Comfort is a lot better than the APM. I haven't done my full testing on them yet.

UPDATE 07/24/2021
I returned the Sony WH-1000XM4 back to Best Buy today. The reasons I took them back are:
1.The ear cups on them made my ears hot after 1 hour of usage.
2. There was a noticeable hissing sound coming from the right ear cup.
3. The build quality on them was all plastic and felt fragile.
4. The iOS Sony Connect headphone app took about 30 seconds to load.
5. It had several audio dropouts.
6. It has lip sync issues when watching movies and tv shows from my Apple TV 4k
7. Sound quality felt not as opened as the APM. The bass on the XM4's were too boomy for me.
8. The XM4's are better for android devices then Apple devices.

I would not rebuy the current APM's again. There are many flaws on them. I would wait till the APM 2nd gens get released and maybe buy them. Hopefully Apple remedies the current flaws on the APM onto the APM 2nd gen. I may have to purchase the APP for the time being.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.