Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well, I think I found the culprit of my sudden vertigo. I bought for Xmas the Airpods Pro and around early January, out of nowhere I woke up with my head spinning and loss of balance. Symptoms associated with vertigo. Never really had that before. I was trying to figure out what would cause that but was totally lost.
Last night I fell asleep listening to some music using the noise-canceling feature. This morning woke up with major vertigo and it finally damn on me it could be the Airpods Pro. I did some research on Google and found out it is an issue for some folks.
I had the original Airpods for many years and never had that problem. It seems the noise canceling of the Pros is what might cause it. Does anyone have this issue? I am planning to stop using it for a few weeks and see if it goes away. Really weird.

Reactions: hooptyuber

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My Pro's haven't had any negative effects like you're describing and I use them with noise canceling exclusively. Have you ever used noise canceling ear pods or headphones before?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
My Pro's haven't had any negative effects like you're describing and I use them with noise canceling exclusively. Have you ever used noise canceling ear pods or headphones before?
I used it a handful of times for no more than 5 minutes because they weren't mine. So I was never exposed to long periods of time. Yeah, I think the noise canceling is the issue since the normal Airpods, I had for many years and never had the issue. I'll report in 2 to 3 weeks to see if the symptoms disappear.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I used it a handful of times for no more than 5 minutes because they weren't mine. So I was never exposed to long periods of time. Yeah, I think the noise canceling is the issue since the normal Airpods, I had for many years and never had the issue. I'll report in 2 to 3 weeks to see if the symptoms disappear.
Probably a good idea to see an ear doctor in the meantime. The vertigo could have been triggered by the AirPods Pro, but it could also be something else.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Probably a good idea to see an ear doctor in the meantime. The vertigo could have been triggered by the AirPods Pro, but it could also be something else.
Well, it's been 1.5 weeks since stop using and it's getting better. I only used it once during this time without the noise-canceling. I think for some people, that feature trigger vertigo since it emits a signal. I read some articles online about it.
So, I guess in a few more weeks, I might say for sure. I just want to post here so if anyone encounters the same issue gets informed.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I haven’t gotten vertigo from the APP ANC but I do get this weird pressure type feeling in my head. Hard to explain the feeling but it gives me borderline nausea. It was way worse when APP first came out, before Apple tweaked the ANC in firmware update. It’s bearable for me now. Before it wasn’t. Couldn’t use ANC. Way too uncomfortable.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Correlation does not mean causation. The most common cause of vertigo is BPPV, which can be triggered by head position, and for which is there is an easy test and remedy, by someone who knows how to do it (i.e. a doctor). Reason I know, is because I had it.

A clue is that you apparently got the vertigo after lying down. This also happens to be the same condition that can trigger BPPV (actually, a certain sequence of head positions while lying down).

Last edited:
Reactions: ukms and japanime

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Correlation does not mean causation. The most common cause of vertigo is BPPV, which can be triggered by head position, and for which is there is an easy test and remedy, by someone who knows how to do it (i.e. a doctor). Reason I know, is because I had it.
Sure it is possible.
It's been three weeks since I stop using the NC feature. My vertigo is way better and I had not had any major symptoms since. So, I deduct at this point, that the noise-canceling signal was "very likely" the cause of it.

Again, this is a very personal thing. I am very aware the majority of people do not encounter this issue, but after Googling, I am not alone with this problem. It took me a few weeks to realize it. My main intent is for folks that might encounter it, to consider headphones with NC as a possible culprit and take the steps to get better. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.