Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
Good evening everyone, I have a problem with the AirPods Pro.

Generally, when I use them on the street and totally randomly the sound is lost/cut off for a few seconds, as if it's interference. Sometimes I am able to reproduce the interference if I stick the iPhone to my leg ? .

I've tried resetting them and re-linking them, I've reset the network settings on the iPhone 12 (taking off and putting on 5G..) and I've tried turning airpods features on and off to see if I could find the source of the problem... and nothing keeps happening to me.

I went to the Apple Store on Sunday and they replaced the right AirPod because it did not pass the high frequency test (no idea what this means) but nothing, I keep getting cut off the sound ... do not get to disconnect, but lose the sound.

Could it be a problem with the iPhone? It's strange that I have such a weak bluetooth signal. Does anything similar happen to any of you?

Otherwise I love them and is one of the best Apple products.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Sometimes you can be near something that has strong interference that can cause cut outs. I travel to Waterloo (train station in London) and when I go through the barriers it cuts out there - every single time. Don't know if it the signs / barriers / shops but something there causes it.

Obviously if this is happening to you a lot then maybe there is an issue with the phone or APP. Best to try the APP with another bluetooth device and see if you get the same issue.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
Sometimes you can be near something that has strong interference that can cause cut outs. I travel to Waterloo (train station in London) and when I go through the barriers it cuts out there - every single time. Don't know if it the signs / barriers / shops but something there causes it.

Obviously if this is happening to you a lot then maybe there is an issue with the phone or APP. Best to try the APP with another bluetooth device and see if you get the same issue.
Thanks for your answer.

I live in Madrid (Spain), and I get the interferences almost everyday using the APP outside home. I will try to sync some Music to my Apple Watch and check if I get the same issue... The thing is, shouldn't everybody using AirPods in a city have this issue?

This August I was on a town near the sea, and by walking on the beach I was getting interferences aswell, this thing is driving me crazy!

imsnd701

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2019
Little Rock
This is happening to me and it’s getting really annoying.
My iPhone 11 Pro started doing the same thing. Random audio drop outs while using headphones. The music or video keeps playing, just no sound over my headphones. If I’m on a call, the other caller just hears a text tone.

I tried AirPods Pro, AirPods 2 and Sony Headphones. The audio cuts out for about 3-5 seconds at a time and it’s very random. Sometimes multiple times during a 5 minute video and sometimes once every hour.

All the AirPods work perfectly my with my MacBook Pro and Apple TV.

I was very hopeful when I upgraded to the 13 pro that I would be past this, but it followed to the new phone. Same exact problem.

This all started over the summer 2021.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2016
This is happening to me and it’s getting really annoying.
My iPhone 11 Pro started doing the same thing. Random audio drop outs while using headphones. The music or video keeps playing, just no sound over my headphones. If I’m on a call, the other caller just hears a text tone.

I tried AirPods Pro, AirPods 2 and Sony Headphones. The audio cuts out for about 3-5 seconds at a time and it’s very random. Sometimes multiple times during a 5 minute video and sometimes once every hour.

All the AirPods work perfectly my with my MacBook Pro and Apple TV.

I was very hopeful when I upgraded to the 13 pro that I would be past this, but it followed to the new phone. Same exact problem.

This all started over the summer 2021.
Have you tried restoring or installing iOS 15 from scratch?

I've noticed that if I set the microphone only in the right airpod, connection is much more stable and drop outs are not as frequent. I went to the Apple Genius and told them right so. They are going to replace the case (?) and if I'm still having the same issue, they will replace the left AirPod Pro, so I'll have everything replaced.

Las step would be to do a clean iOS 15 install.

Michael Madsen

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Denmark
I have the same issue. I use my AirPods Pro with an iPhone 11 Pro and a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019).
Sound drops out for ~2 seconds every 30-60 minutes. On both devices.
It's quite annoying.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I get intermittent cut outs in my AirPods 2. It's only for a split second or so and only happens once out of every few hours of listening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.