Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
Does anybody know if it’s ok that both AirPods 3 headphones being 100% charged and in the case gives me like -1% per hour of charge of its case constantly? I mean MacBook and iPhone are disconnected, AirPods are in the case, but charging case drops around -1% each hour. They are brand new, but I dine feel it’s ok. I’ve reset them and tried “forget the device”, but still no luck.

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
So my AirPods and case were charged 100% 3 days ago. I used them a few times in between, but not a whole lot. Don’t know how long. Anyways, woke up this morning and my case battery was at 4%. That seems pretty low for just 3 days.

When I first got them brand new, the case was completely dead from the start. I had to charge it a little bit before I could pair them with my iPhone. I figured maybe they just sat on the shelf for too long, but maybe I have a battery problem with the case?

As a test, I reset them and re-paired them to my iPhone and also restarted my iPhone. Then I charged everything to 100% again. In 3 hours time, my case battery went from 100% to 98% and my AirPods stayed at 100%. Is this normal behavior? Should I lose 2% battery every 3 hours if I’m not using them?

With my old AirPods 2, I would go weeks without charging my case. I barely every charged it.

Is it because it’s the wireless charging case?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Update: I got a genius bar appointment. They ran some tests and determined there's nothing wrong from what they can see. So I guess I'm just SOL. My old AirPods were great. I barely ever charged the case.

Reactions: TrancyGoose

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Update 2: I exchanged them at Best Buy for another pair. These ones seem a little better. They still had a charge straight out of the box, but they sill lost 5% in the span of sitting off the charger for 11 hours. That's not fantastic. That means without using them, I'd only get 10 days of idle time. My old set only needed to be charged every couple of months if I used them lightly.

Maybe it's the 4A400 firmware?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My Pros had a bug where if you had them in your ears or out of the case the case drained within a couple hours, and the Pods would make the 'AirPods battery is dead' sound but keep working at least until placed in the case, where you'd get no red or green LED, and if you took them out and put them in your ears again without charging the case, they refused to pair at all. I think the case is needed to maintain pairing to the phone or something, since you can't buy a wireless case by itself for your Gen 2 AirPods if you opted for the cable-charging case. I haven't seen a replacement case as an option.

I've just accepted the case is bad or dead (though it works properly so long as your Pods are in there) and just carry two sets of AirPods with me, so when one pair is actually dying (5-6 hours later) I put them into the 'dead' case (which is actually dead by then) and use my Gen 2's to keep enjoying my music (and that case works)

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Maybe "find my" is causing some battery drain.. I just picked up a set of Pro's that came charged to 75% when I opened them and I noticed they drain faster than my old AirPod 1st gen when in standby. Mine are already updated to the latest firmware so I'm thinking "find my" might be the reason. I get a constant location no matter if they are disconnected and on standby or using them

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I don't know why that would only affect my Pros but not my Gen 2's. Either case is fine when the pods are there inside them, and I can wirelessly charge my Pros normally. But if I got my Pros in my ears, within 1-2 hours I hear the 'your AirPods battery is dead' noise, but the music continues to play. But if I put the Pods back in the case, no light, nothing. If I take them out of the case without charging the case first, and put them in my ears a few minutes later, nothing happens. No 'bling!' noise, no playback. Almost like the case is needed to do the initial pairing to iPhone. Either that or when I hear the 'battery is dead' noise my case is in some kind of power reserve. It's only an issue with my Pros. I get 5-6 hours of playback which is more than enough most times, for other times I carry my Gen 2's with me as well. I think the battery in the Pro's case is just defunct. I can't find any replacement cases anywhere.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Maybe "find my" is causing some battery drain.. I just picked up a set of Pro's that came charged to 75% when I opened them and I noticed they drain faster than my old AirPod 1st gen when in standby. Mine are already updated to the latest firmware so I'm thinking "find my" might be the reason. I get a constant location no matter if they are disconnected and on standby or using them
Can't turn off Find My on gen 2s

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't turn it off even if it were possible. My Pro's drained the case 4% last night on standby?
My new ones drained 3% overnight after everything was at 100%. I unplugged them at 10PM, then checked them at 10AM and the case was at 97%. I thought that was pretty good, but then I checked them 4 hours later and now it's at 90%. What the heck? -3% over 12 hours then -7% over 4 hours? Why?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My new ones drained 3% overnight after everything was at 100%. I unplugged them at 10PM, then checked them at 10AM and the case was at 97%. I thought that was pretty good, but then I checked them 4 hours later and now it's at 90%. What the heck? -3% over 12 hours then -7% over 4 hours? Why?
Only thing I can think of is find my. When my AirPod 1st gen's were disconnected find my would say offline and no location, the Pro's show they're location whether they're disconnected or being used, basically all the time. I'm betting that's the difference because they must be updating their location regularly. I'm going to try to reset the AirPods and forget them in bluetooth, then re-pair to see if it helps. Also read you should try draining them completely and then charge them to 100% if all else fails.

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Only thing I can think of is find my. When my AirPod 1st gen's were disconnected find my would say offline and no location, the Pro's show they're location whether they're disconnected or being used, basically all the time. I'm betting that's the difference because they must be updating their location regularly. I'm going to try to reset the AirPods and forget them in bluetooth, then re-pair to see if it helps. Also read you should try draining them completely and then charge them to 100% if all else fails.
Can’t turn off find my foe AirPods 2

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Can’t turn off find my foe AirPods 2
You can't turn off find my on Pro's either. I just charged the case to 100% reset them, removed them from my bluetooth list then re-paired them to my phone to see if it makes any difference.
Update: lost 9% in 12 hrs last night. I'd say something is not right..

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I think they've fixed themselves magically. I just went 3 days in standby and the case is still at 100%. Weird.

Do AirPods have to settle in?

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
Hi, I am experiencing a fast drain with my new AirPods Pro.
Been testing them since this morning, alongside a super old pair of AirPods 1.
After 9 hrs:
AirPods1 still at 99%
AirPods Pro at 95%

It’s like 0.55% per hour.. which doesn’t seem huge, but considering the old AirPods are still at 99%…

What is the case doing besides keeping the AirPods Pro charged?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hi, I am experiencing a fast drain with my new AirPods Pro.
Been testing them since this morning, alongside a super old pair of AirPods 1.
After 9 hrs:
AirPods1 still at 99%
AirPods Pro at 95%

It’s like 0.55% per hour.. which doesn’t seem huge, but considering the old AirPods are still at 99%…

What is the case doing besides keeping the AirPods Pro charged?
Mine have lost up to 9% overnight at times. I suggest resetting them, unpairing/re-pairing and if all else fails try to drain the case to 0 and recharge to 100%. I've had no luck with the first two and I"m going to try to drain completely and recharge to 100% next. Some forum members have said it was the last firmware update that came a week ago, I can't say if that's true since I just got my Pro's last week and this is the only firmware I've used so I've got nothing to compare it to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
Thanks
I’ve reset them and last night they lost 2% over an 8 hour window..
Definitely better. But then again, not sure what the expectation should be.
Maybe if they have now activated this new functionality of “find my” it’s probably normal?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks
I’ve reset them and last night they lost 2% over an 8 hour window..
Definitely better. But then again, not sure what the expectation should be.
Maybe if they have now activated this new functionality of “find my” it’s probably normal?
I do notice find my works a lot better on the Pro's compared to my 1st gens so it's possible that is the cause of some drain. I would be happy with 1-2% but I think more than 5% is excessive

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
Tonight on the chat apple told me that below 10% I’d within tolerance ?
So even my 5% pre reset was fine.
I’d personally like to know what others are getting

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine were acting weird but seemed to have fixed itself somehow. I went 3 days in a row on standby and my case and airpods stayed at 100% the whole time. Even opening and closing the case to check a couple times a day. Just leave it alone, try not to think about it and I'm sure it will sort itself out.

Reactions: scrane

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine were acting weird but seemed to have fixed itself somehow. I went 3 days in a row on standby and my case and airpods stayed at 100% the whole time. Even opening and closing the case to check a couple times a day. Just leave it alone, try not to think about it and I'm sure it will sort itself out.
Agreed. Mine are 2 yrs and 1 month old. I only use them a couple hours a week. Beginning suddenly about ten days ago, I was regularly finding the pods at 100% and the case at less than 10% after 24 hours of not using them or opening the case. I saw the advice in another thread about turning off auto connect and did that, and then the case was only draining to about 33% each day. BUT… the past couple days I’m finding them with more charge each day. This morning was 87% which is better than I would expect for their age. Prior to the recent issue I hadn’t really looked at the numbers, I just would plug in the charger if the light was amber when the case was opened.

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
Thanks, but the fact these are capable of staying 100% for 3 days for you, and in my case they lose 2% over 8 hours, tells me something is wrong with mine. Do you have the latest firmare? Is find my network on? Connect to this phone to “automatically”?
Thanks

Bosternou9

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
I saw the advice in another thread about turning off auto connect and did that, and then the case was only draining to about 33% each day.
Sorry do you mean that turning off “auto connect” led to your case losing 33% each day? So it made it worse?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Sorry do you mean that turning off “auto connect” led to your case losing 33% each day? So it made it worse?
No worries, I could have explained it better. No, turning off auto connect mostly likely made things better, but I don’t know for sure, since it gradually seems to have corrected itself.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
My airpods were having similar issues as all of yours, but they somehow just fixed themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.