Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wagbh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2020
Hi,

This morning something weird happened.
I am in an iCloud family sharing with my wife.
My AirPods Pro have disappeared from my Find My.
They no longer continuously update their location since iOS 15 and I cannot make them ring or locate them.
(But they are still working with my phone, paired, detected and playing)

Instead they moved alongside my wife devices in the Find My app, and I cannot even remove them from there as it requests my wife’s Apple ID password to do so !?!!

Has it happened to anyone else ?
Is it a subtle nudge from Apple to tell me to buy the new AP3 and gift my Pro’s to her ?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Hi,

They no longer continuously update their location since iOS 15 and I cannot make them ring or locate them.

Instead they moved alongside my wife devices in the Find My app, and I cannot even remove them from there as it requests my wife’s Apple ID password to do so !?!!

Has it happened to anyone else ?
Is it a subtle nudge from Apple to tell me to buy the new AP3 and gift my Pro’s to her ?
This happened to my set but I actually put them on my wife's iPhone so she could try them out. When I removed them from her phone and installed them back on my phone it kept giving me warnings that she was tracking them. I tried over and over to get the find my to remove from my wife's account. I finally had to turn off her Find my App under settings and her ID on her phone and then forget the AirPods from My iPhone. They then were finally released from her Find My and I then was able to turn her setting back on.

Wagbh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2020
The weird part on mine is that I never coupled them with her phone. They just switched overnight from my list of devices to her's...
I am not quite sure what happened, seems like a glitch on Apple servers, and removing/adding them back to my phone still doesn't solve the issue

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Something similar and very strange is happening to me just now. I have been on support with apple much of the day. My airpods pro will all the sudden disconnect and its removed off my bluetooth devices as well as my find my. I didn't check to see if it was move to another family member. I will check that. The weird part is, when it happens it takes my airpods max with it. Even when they are not on. If I open my airpods pro back up, it says not your airpods. Apple thought it was my airpods pro, so they sent me a new pair. But as soon as they updated to 4a400 firmware it started happening again.

mike.moore

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Something similar and very strange is happening to me just now. I have been on support with apple much of the day. My airpods pro will all the sudden disconnect and its removed off my bluetooth devices as well as my find my. I didn't check to see if it was move to another family member. I will check that. The weird part is, when it happens it takes my airpods max with it. Even when they are not on. If I open my airpods pro back up, it says not your airpods. Apple thought it was my airpods pro, so they sent me a new pair. But as soon as they updated to 4a400 firmware it started happening again.
Any update on this situation for you? I'm having the same thing happen since adding my Beats Fit Pro. Dropping both my AirPods Pro and the Beats Fit Pro randomly from my whole list of bluetooth devices and Find My. This is clearly some bug in either iOS 15 or iCloud that needs to get more attention.

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Any update on this situation for you? I'm having the same thing happen since adding my Beats Fit Pro. Dropping both my AirPods Pro and the Beats Fit Pro randomly from my whole list of bluetooth devices and Find My. This is clearly some bug in either iOS 15 or iCloud that needs to get more attention.
It stopped happening after I removed them from my find my, reset them and then re added them. I’m not sure if that fixed it or it was just a coincidence. Apple engineers are still looking into it.

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
This keeps happening to me too, totally randomly. I have AirPods 2, Pros, and Max, and it has happened to all of them, but more to the Pros (possibly because I use them the most?). They will switch to my wife's account (we do the Family Sharing thing), which I only find out when I open the case and they say they aren't paired to my phone.

I'm always able to re-pair them, but this has been going on for 2-3 weeks and it's the damnedest thing.

It's got to be some kind of bizarre Family Sharing issue. I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with my wife still being on iOS 14.

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Just as an update. My issue is back. Now it’s effecting my AirPods Pro and max. This is so annoying.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hi,

Yes, I am also interested in getting to the bottom of this. Why is your pair of AirPods Pro behaving like a moody cat?

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Update: So they think they have narrowed it down to a problem with my iCloud. They had me sign out of iCloud on my phone and re pair my AirPods. They didn’t drop off once.

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Update. So after some extensive troubleshooting, it turns out that the problem only exists when I have my AirPods max and AirPods Pro connected at the same time. As long as I have 1 in my Bluetooth list, the problem is gone. But as soon as I add the other, the problem starts.

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Update. So after some extensive troubleshooting, it turns out that the problem only exists when I have my AirPods max and AirPods Pro connected at the same time. As long as I have 1 in my Bluetooth list, the problem is gone. But as soon as I add the other, the problem starts.

Any update to this? Just called supoprt today as I have the same issue. Both my AirPods are being kicked out of mu ecosystem, INSANELY annoying...

They didn't know what to do, and advised to reinstall MacOS since its the only thing updated since they worked fine before that...

Gonna try what you did with FindMy and see if it resolves it.

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Ha! Found a solution, so annoying.

So what happened was that when I added both AirPods to the phone (and to the ecosystem), it literally kicked itself out time and time.

It was like they were new devices and I had to pair them.

So what I did now was that I hard reset BOTH the AirPods Max and Pros. Seems to have been the Pros that caused it, cause since I reset those they started working again (aka not forgetting themselves from the iPhone time after time).

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Any update to this? Just called supoprt today as I have the same issue. Both my AirPods are being kicked out of mu ecosystem, INSANELY annoying...

They didn't know what to do, and advised to reinstall MacOS since its the only thing updated since they worked fine before that...

Gonna try what you did with FindMy and see if it resolves it.
So she I have found is that I have to have Find my turned off for the AirPods in the Bluetooth settings. If that is on i get the deleted AirPods problem. As long as they have find my turned off they work.

mike.moore

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Any updates to this? I have been hunting/dealing with this issue for months now. Just added some AirPods Max to my list so I'm trying to have 3 pairs of headphones paired with all my devices: AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, and Beats Fit Pro. I thought the workaround for me was pairing first with the Mac and then things seemed fine. But then today all of the devices dropped again randomly.

I am willing to do any steps that are a reliable fix. I've tried removing all devices from Find My and then resetting them all. This didn't seem to be a solid workaround but who knows. Would love some advice.

BorgCzar

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
Any updates to this? I have been hunting/dealing with this issue for months now. Just added some AirPods Max to my list so I'm trying to have 3 pairs of headphones paired with all my devices: AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, and Beats Fit Pro. I thought the workaround for me was pairing first with the Mac and then things seemed fine. But then today all of the devices dropped again randomly.

I am willing to do any steps that are a reliable fix. I've tried removing all devices from Find My and then resetting them all. This didn't seem to be a solid workaround but who knows. Would love some advice.
I wish I had an update. I’m still getting nothing from Apple Support. I’m told the engineers don’t have a solution.

I have also noticed that I cannot have my AirPods Pro and AirPods max connected to different devices on the same Apple ID.
It’s sad really. Makes one of my AirPods useless.

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden

Did you try the thing that worked for me?

Factory resetting one device at a time, and then adding them? I added them to my iPhone as a start.

mike.moore

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Did you try the thing that worked for me?

Factory resetting one device at a time, and then adding them? I added them to my iPhone as a start.
So explain again what worked for you. You factory reset your iPhone, iPad, Mac? Or just the headphones?

The AirPods Pro seem to be the center of the problem as they "cause" the disappearance the most and I've noticed other issues when I do a factory reset like they don't disappear from Find My. Did this happen to you?

Any tips or info is extremely welcome. Thank you!

Dubadai

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
So explain again what worked for you. You factory reset your iPhone, iPad, Mac? Or just the headphones?

The AirPods Pro seem to be the center of the problem as they "cause" the disappearance the most and I've noticed other issues when I do a factory reset like they don't disappear from Find My. Did this happen to you?

Any tips or info is extremely welcome. Thank you!

For sure!

So what happened was that my AirPods Pro and AirPods Max CONSTANTLY got kicked off iCloud. Called Apple and they couldn't figure it out...

Eventually by chance I hard reset my AirPods Pro, and when doing so it was like they were the culprit of it, like they caused things to go haywire.

Once those were reset and I paired them and my AirPods Max, things went back to normal...

I didn't touch the iPhone, Mac or anything else...

mike.moore

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
UPDATE: It appears I've solved the problem but I'm definitely feeling wary it will stick. The solution was a complete phone restore using a computer in order to wipe the OS and then did another wipe and restore from iCloud backup.

Here's how I got here:

I took all of my devices into a SimplyMac (Apple Authorized Repair Shop) this morning. This was after the following steps on my own:

1. I reset every one of my Bluetooth devices. I noticed multiple devices when forgotten were not being removed from Find My. This was a pain. I had to try multiple pairs and restarts and ultimately was able to rmeove them only from the web version of Find My and not from the Mac app.
2. I reset network settings on all of my devices.
3. I signed out and back into iCloud on all my devices. Pain. Took forever to have to re-add all of the cards to my Wallet.
4. I moved all other devices into another room in my house and sat with just my freshly reset AirPods and my iPhone. Paired them. Played music. They disconnected about 15 seconds later and removed themselves completely.

At SimplyMac, we tried pairing single devices and was able to immediately show the technician how it dropped connections and wiped other devices. He ran a full hardware diagnostic on my iPhone 13. No issues. We tried an Erase All Content and Settings. That didn't work. Same issue.

Last attempt was connecting to the repair computer and doing a restore in order to wipe the OS. After this, started cautiously re-pairing. No disconnects. Added more. No disconnects.

After the vanilla wipe, did an Erase all Content and restored from iCloud. Still working as of this. Crossing my fingers. Hoping this helps someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.