Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Just got the APP, very new to this and still exploring the settings… I don’t mind using “Hey Siri” to vocally invoke Siri if I have my AirPods in, but I always have that setting turned off on my phone. The reason being when I say “Hey Siri” at home I am usually trying to communicate with the HomePods, and not my phone. If I want to invoke Siri on my phone, I just hold down the side button, and I prefer it that way.

Is there a way to activate Hey Siri on my AirPods while also leaving it disabled for my iPhone?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
not quite what you're asking, but you can change the long press on one or both of the stems to a Siri button, instead of changing noise cancelling mode.

my right is Siri, the left is noise canceling.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
not quite what you're asking, but you can change the long press on one or both of the stems to a Siri button, instead of changing noise cancelling mode.

my right is Siri, the left is noise canceling.
Right, I’ve set mine up the opposite way- Siri is the left one. I don’t mind this in most scenarios, although I would prefer the option to also have hands-free vocal activation of “hey siri” when using AirPods if at all possible.

I also find that long pressing the stem is sometimes unresponsive, in my few hours of limited use and testing. It’ll occasionally do a different beep, but not the “Siri” beep. I don’t know if it’s a me problem or the AirPods themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.