Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I sometimes use them with my iPhone and sometimes with my iPad. Usually are both around at the same time. I thought they were supposed to be smart and know which device I am using at the moment and connect to the correct one. Like I have my iPad out and open the ATV+ app and ready to watch a show and take out my pods, shouldn't they connect to the iPad and not the iPhone in my pocket? Am I missing something? And what is the easiest way to connect to the current device, now I go to settings, bluetooth and manually select the AirPods. Is there a better way?

Last edited:

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
When no devices are being used (screen off), mine connect to the last device that they were used with, assuming that device is near-by. Otherwise, if I am actively using a different device and open the AirPods case, it will give me the option to connect to the device I am using.

Reactions: VSMacOne

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I sometimes use them with my iPhone and sometimes with my iPad. Usually are both around at the same time. I thought they were supposed to be smart and know which device I am using at the moment and connect to the correct one. Like I have my iPad out and open the ATV+ app and ready to watch a show and take out my pods, shouldn't they connect to the iPad and not the iPhone in my pocket? Am I missing something? And what is the easiest way to connect to the current device, now I go to settings, bluetooth and manually select the AirPods. Is there a better way?
Unlike many other bluetooth earbuds out there that can simultaneously connect to five devices at the same time, the airpods can only connect to one at a time. I manually go into the bluetooth settings and change what the airpods are connected to, easiest method without hiccups for me. While my Jabra Elites can connect to both my iPhone and iPad at the same time, when I stop playing music on my iPhone and start watching youtube on my iPad, it switches over immediately. It's the one downside to the airpods and is probably an update Apple is saving for a new model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.