Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senorduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2022
Portland, OR
I have AirPods Pro (model #A2084) that I use with my iPhone 11. If I ever take a bud out of the ear and put it back in, the AirPod will connect to my iPad and play that content. I have gone to Bluetooth settings and set my iPhone to 'Connect to this iPhone - Automatically' and on my iPad I have set it to 'Connect to this iPad - When Last Connected to this iPad'. I have also tried 'Forget This Device' then re-pairing and setting these preferences from a fresh connection, but no matter what I try my AirPods ignore the settings and always try to play content from my iPad forcing me to manually connect on my iPhone every time. This is rather frustrating and annoying and googling has only found articles sending me to the options I have already set like this one https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/stop-airpods-connecting-to-other-devices/ . Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my AirPods to play content from my iPhone and not my iPad?

frogywill

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
I have the same problem with my Beats Fit Pro and all other AirPods I own. I think that settings has never worked.
I use my BFP on runs with my Apple Watch and no iPhone. When going back home, as soon as I am within range, the BFP or AirPods disconnect from the Watch and pair to my iPhone. It’s been driving me nuts for years. It happens every single time whether I am listening to music or (worse) I am a call.

I have the setting set to “When Last Connected to this device” on all me devices, including my Mac. My AppleTV is set to NOT suggest AirPods. It doesn’t matter… it still does it…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.