Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
My friends and I have noticed that since the iOS 16 upgrade (along with the firmware for the AirPod Pros) that the noise canceling quality of using the microphone works really well. This is true over the cell network and also with FaceTime. This is with really busy background noise, not too different from the Apple recorded announcement (going out of the subway car to the construction site).

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
My friends and I have noticed that since the iOS 16 upgrade (along with the firmware for the AirPod Pros) that the noise canceling quality of using the microphone works really well. This is true over the cell network and also with FaceTime. This is with really busy background noise, not too different from the Apple recorded announcement (going out of the subway car to the construction site).
That’s really encouraging. I was always dissapointed that they did very little ANC on the microphones for the AAPs. I was hoping for an improvement with the new APP2s

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Are you talking about outgoing voice quality? Because I didn't think that the outgoing mics had noise cancelling for voice conversations. I know that the microphones are used to help noise cancellation on incoming voice quality, but I didn't think that the reverse applied.

Reactions: addamas

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
that sound interesting. Please someone give us other feedback. I just sold mine for this reason and i'm waiting for the APP2 to come on friday.

It's pretty weird that the call quality improvement is related to iOS16, though.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
that sound interesting. Please someone give us other feedback. I just sold mine for this reason and i'm waiting for the APP2 to come on friday.

It's pretty weird that the call quality improvement is related to iOS16, though.
And the Airpod Pro firmware update.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Are you talking about outgoing voice quality? Because I didn't think that the outgoing mics had noise cancelling for voice conversations. I know that the microphones are used to help noise cancellation on incoming voice quality, but I didn't think that the reverse applied.
Yes. It is now doing a great job cancelling your background noise so that you can be heard.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
What's the updated firmware number? Is it 3E751 and do you have to have iOS16 installed on the iPhone?
Firmware 4E71, Model A2084. The firmware was updated with iOS 16 was. Yes, I'm running iOS 16.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Firmware 4E71, Model A2084. The firmware was updated with iOS 16 was. Yes, I'm running iOS 16.
4E71 was released in May. I'm on that firmware and my phone is on 15.7. I thought a new firmware was released when iOS 16 was dropped but maybe it's the actual iOS 16 update that improves Airpods Pro performance

Last edited:

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad

I've used these since they came out for taking work calls in noisy cafes and the like, it's my primary use case. They've always filtered background noise, to a degree. Not quite as well as ANC for audio you yourself hear though, and sometimes it gets confused if there's too much going on which causes dropouts or volume spikes.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I've used these since they came out for taking work calls in noisy cafes and the like, it's my primary use case. They've always filtered background noise, to a degree. Not quite as well as ANC for audio you yourself hear though, and sometimes it gets confused if there's too much going on which causes dropouts or volume spikes.
Actually, it seems like the improved quality is only on cellular regular calls and with Facetime but not on WiFi. People I speak with say they can't hear the background -just my voice.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
here the test guys: CNET from 7.37.

To me, it’s not a good quality voice. What do you think?

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
here the test guys: CNET from 7.37.

To me, it’s not a good quality voice. What do you think?
Starts at 7:42. I'd like to see a comparison to APP1.

Edit: didn't mean to be snarky. I didn't interpret 7.37 as seven minutes and 37 seconds. Apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.