Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I have an issue with the AirPods pro falling out of my ear. They just won't stay put. Maybe will stay in ear for 5 minutes before needing to be adjusted.

I tried the SoftConnect Comply foams, and with those the tips stay in ear, but the issue is they won't fit in the AirPods Pro charging case which makes it a useless solution. The reason they won't stay is because they don't have a mounting mechanism for the AirPods pro, so the foam is connected to a silicon sleeve which covers the whole bud, making it too thick for the case.

Does anyone have any ideas? Did apple license the connect mechanism so after market tip manufacturers will start making tips for the AirPods Pro?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Why can’t you just take those tips off to charge them? It’s the obvious solution but you did not mention it. Or are you just looking for something other than that?

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Why can’t you just take those tips off to charge them? It’s the obvious solution but you did not mention it. Or are you just looking for something other than that?

It would destroy the main benefit of the airpods which is convenience. I’d be better off returning the AirPods and buying the Sony ones instead.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
$399 here and you have to buy cheap chinese foam to get a good fit lol. Just return them and buy something of quality, i did, Bose 700.

• Haha
Reactions: bpeeps

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I agree. Return them and get the Sony’s if that works for you. I had the opposite problem. Sony’s fell out, AirPods Pro fit me fine.

SONY'S ALSO FALL OUT OF EAR. THEY LAST A LITTLE LONGER IN EAR BUT NEITHER IS STABLE.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
foam tips on ebay. i should be getting mine on monday

I received these. The problem is they have no wax guards. Since Apple installed wax guards on their tips, I think it is fair to assume they are necessary to avoid losing volume due to the speaker grate being clogged with ear wax. So I am going to toss them. Won't even use them once.

• Haha
Reactions: bp328i

sontran23

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
I received these. The problem is they have no wax guards. Since Apple installed wax guards on their tips, I think it is fair to assume they are necessary to avoid losing volume due to the speaker grate being clogged with ear wax. So I am going to toss them. Won't even use them once.

Yeah. they're pretty are trash. i will take the L on this one =/. gonna stick with the silicon and comply DIY combo till comply releases an official one.

Lior Shabtay

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Hey guys,
When I running with the airpods pro they slipping out.
I tried all the sizes
do you have any solution?
Thanks

todundsteuern

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Maybe keep an eye out on Amazon for AirPods Pro ear clips? I did a quick search and it seems they're only available for regular AirPods right now, but pretty sure some company's going to have them for sale soon.

Reactions: Lior Shabtay

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
I ended up coming up with a solution (and another user beat me to the punch on posting it) where I took some foam tips I already had and modified them to work with the AirPod Pro. I cannot recommend this solution enough. The foam tips are fairly cheap on Amazon; I cut about half a millimeter off of the bottom by pressing them onto a flat surface (so the cut is even). I then use a pair of tweezers to pull the silicon tips through the foam. I use the largest size tips, and they work wonders with this mod. They still fit in the case without issue, and they also improve sound quality dramatically as you get a full, and better seal. Definitely give this a try if you're running out of options (you can probably even do this with the foam tips you got from ebay by using Tweezers to pull out the mounting mechanism, which I did for a pair of tips I'd gotten for my Jaybird X3s).

Reactions: Rocko99991

brian5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
I was hoping that you were going to recommend these. Guess I'll have to keep looking. Thanks

IzemanTechSolutions

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I ended up coming up with a solution (and another user beat me to the punch on posting it) where I took some foam tips I already had and modified them to work with the AirPod Pro. I cannot recommend this solution enough. The foam tips are fairly cheap on Amazon; I cut about half a millimeter off of the bottom by pressing them onto a flat surface (so the cut is even). I then use a pair of tweezers to pull the silicon tips through the foam. I use the largest size tips, and they work wonders with this mod. They still fit in the case without issue, and they also improve sound quality dramatically as you get a full, and better seal. Definitely give this a try if you're running out of options (you can probably even do this with the foam tips you got from ebay by using Tweezers to pull out the mounting mechanism, which I did for a pair of tips I'd gotten for my Jaybird X3s).
If you could please post photos. Im more of a Visual learn myself. Thank you for your input.

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
If you could please post photos. Im more of a Visual learn myself. Thank you for your input.

Sure thing. Here's some quick images for reference.

Fit in the case without issue:

IMG_0410.jpg

They will generally poke out of the bottom of the silicon tips like this:

IMG_0411.jpg

You simply pull open the silicon tip, and use tweezers to pull it through the hole in the foam tip:

IMG_0412.jpg

Fits comfortably around the stem of the tip without any loss in sound volume, and with a marked improvement in isolation and (subjectively) sound quality:

IMG_0413.jpg

These are Comply tips, but any cheap foam tips will work. In my case, I prefer the "softer" feel of the tips without the protective wax layer over the foam as it allows them to fit in the ears without feeling stiff.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I went with a similar approach to @Silverjerk using some extra Comply TW tips I had lying around. Yanked out the rubber core, easily pulled the foam part on over the inner core of the APP tips. In my case you can't even see the foam as there is slightly less of it. I'll be curious to see how it holds up, but from a fit perspective it's been really good so far. They had already fit me 'ok', but this was an easy mod that doesn't impact the APP in any permanent way, and has definitely improved fit.

RedFlag

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
I thought about returning my AirPods Pro since they keep falling out with every tip size, especially on my left ear... But I've got almost a whole month to go in which I can return them, so I thought I'd try out this fix since it seems to work for people.

Some users suggest getting a pair of Symbio W Hybrid eartips... ?
I've found them cheap on eBay so I will try those out and report back here.

Last edited:

Silverjerk

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
I thought about returning my AirPods Pro since they keep falling out with every tip size, especially on my left ear... But I've got almost a whole month to go in which I can return them, so I thought I'd try out this fix since it seems to work for people.

Some users suggest getting a pair of Symbio W Hybrid eartips... ?
I've found them cheap on eBay so I will try those out and report back here.

Great question, with a really easy solution. You can usually just buy the foam tip size that matches the size of the silicon tips that fit your ears from the AirPods Pro. So if medium works best, use a medium foam tip, and so on. For my AirPods Pro, I use a large foam tip with the large silicon tip; while my fiance uses the small silicon tips with the small foam tips. I imagine the same would work for the mediums as well.

Reactions: genealto

Sreyash.Venkata

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2020
I have an issue with the AirPods pro falling out of my ear. They just won't stay put. Maybe will stay in ear for 5 minutes before needing to be adjusted.

I tried the SoftConnect Comply foams, and with those the tips stay in ear, but the issue is they won't fit in the AirPods Pro charging case which makes it a useless solution. The reason they won't stay is because they don't have a mounting mechanism for the AirPods pro, so the foam is connected to a silicon sleeve which covers the whole bud, making it too thick for the case.

Does anyone have any ideas? Did apple license the connect mechanism so after market tip manufacturers will start making tips for the AirPods Pro?

Hello there,

 never does mistakes.

You can just fix that problem yourself just by locking the top curvature of the AirPods into the hollow curvature of your ears by just pushing the AirPods backwards into the hollow curvature of your ears after inserting them casually. After locking it there, it never falls out unless you remove it by pulling it forward and outward.

Hope you understand and try it once. I bet you would never blame  for anything.

Cheers.

• Sad
Reactions: Tapper and Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.