Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ten month old airpod pros and only use them as a pair. For the past month now the right one wont ever charge to 100%. It stops around 80% or so. I’ve unpaired and repaired, cleaned them, and updated firmware.

Any ideas before I make an appointment?

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Do you have optimized battery charging on? Mine behave similarly and I assume its because of The optimized charging feature. Turn off the feature and see if it charges. But the first thing you should do is clean your case and AirPods and just make sure it’s not a connection issue.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Do you have optimized battery charging on? Mine behave similarly and I assume its because of The optimized charging feature. Turn off the feature and see if it charges. But the first thing you should do is clean your case and AirPods and just make sure it’s not a connection issue.
My right one stopped charging at 80%, so I turned off optimised charging and they both now charge perfectly to 100%.

Question: When optimised charging is on, should they not both stop charging at 80% until they think you’re going to use them?

Also, even after I’ve taken them out of the case, the last one removed still shows as charging :D.

I think they’re just buggy.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
That is exactly what happened. I turned off optimized and now both charge to 100. Weird that only one would stop at 80. Sometimes it would go a bit above 80 also.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Interesting….

AirPods Pro….left was not charging or only charging between 3% to 80%. Right was charging fine. Did cleaning etc which didn’t resolve it. Apple replaced both Left and Right and the issue went away…for a short time then, again, the Left Airpods Pro was at only at 3% and died after 20 mins or so. Apple replaced the case meaning I had “new” L / R AirPods Pro and a replacement case. The issue still persists. It’s intermittent but it does happen..and always the Left one.

It could be that I am unlucky and got a dodgy Left replacement and / or a dodgy case replacement, or it could be a bug with the optimised charging or the Firmware. I’m sure Apple will deny both but perhaps ? the new Firmware will fix this…..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.