Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12aklabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2022
I have 2017 AirPods and they are still working great. I use them primarily for my workouts at the gym and around the yard on the weekends doing chores. My question is should I go ahead and get the AirPods Pro now or wait til the new 2023 products come out.

TIA

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I have 2017 AirPods and they are still working great. I use them primarily for my workouts at the gym and around the yard on the weekends doing chores. My question is should I go ahead and get the AirPods Pro now or wait til the new 2023 products come out.

TIA
You can check the MR buying guide. I think new Pros are due this fall. The current ones are awesome, I bought some a few months ago when my OG AirPods started to have poor battery life. If your old ones are still working well, it should be easy to wait a few more months.

JSteele

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
Depends on what you think they will improve, and if you will need to buy a new phone to access the features. I could see a new Pro get announced in fall and released around 2023. However what do you expect to change to make it worth the wait? Better ANC… probably not worth waiting unless you work in a coffee shop. Lossless support, maybe, but then is it worth it on drivers that small, and you will likely need to buy a new iPhone to have a compatible chip for their new wireless technology that can stream at a bitrate high enough for it.

Asking if you should wait half a year to buy IEMs though makes me think you don’t really have a need for them. In which case maybe I’d wait a while and see if a more pressing use case comes up where you really need them.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I bought some a month ago.

I say buy now, if you can get a good deal (don't pay apple's RRP). You know the new ones won't be cheaper.

They're a big step up from non-pro AirPods. from 2017 (which is what I had before).

They aren't as good as my WH1000XM4s for sound quality (they're buds!), but they aren't far off and far more convenient for times when full cans aren't appropriate.

Wireless charge is nice too (and adding that to your old AirPods is almost 30% the cost of new AirPods Pro if you shop smart).

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

TIA
If there are specific features you want from the APP go for them now. But, as you say, your APs are still fine then I would wait.

You are in a great position because you can wait and see, if the APP2s are a leap forward get them, if they are not then you can get APP1s at a reduced price then. All the time still using your APs.

Reactions: Soondae

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Better ANC… probably not worth waiting unless you work in a coffee shop.
What a strange logic and response..so in your mind ANC is relevant only for coffee shop workers?
then why even buy the Pro over Airpods 3?

ANC is why people buy the Pro and let me tell you AirPods Pro ANC is the weakest and least effective of the other 2 main competing models (Bose QC Earbuds / Sony XM4) abd I mean significantly less effective.
So yes definitely better ANC.

And also better sound quality,better sound again Airpods Pro sound quality is the worse in class and needs improvement.

You try Bose QC earbuds and you’ll know why Airpods Pro needs improvements.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…].

You try Bose QC earbuds and you’ll know why Airpods Pro needs improvements.
Friend has both app and Bose and according to him Bose is great until you need to use the mic.

He also can’t have the Bose in his ears for a long period.

As far as anc on my app, it’s so effective it gets me nervous.

So ymmv.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I bought some on sale from Amazon. I would look around for deals and see what you can find. I wouldn’t have paid full Apple retail, but then I already have a pair of AirPods Gen 2. All the same, I’m very impressed with them.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Friend has both app and Bose and according to him Bose is great until you need to use the mic.

He also can’t have the Bose in his ears for a long period.

As far as anc on my app, it’s so effective it gets me nervous.

So ymmv.
I tested both AirPods Pro and Bose QC Earbuds extensively.
Yes the AirPods Pro has better quality mic.
Comfort is subjective.for some Airpods Pro will fit better for some Bose QC Earbuds.
The Bose definitely has MUCH more effective ANC.they are close to ANC level of full sized Bose/Sony headphones.so if you feel AirPods Pro ANC is "so effective" you will be blown away by Bose ANC.I put it this way,AirPods Pro ANC is not really noise cancelling but noise reduction,maybe 60% reduction vs Bose C ANC actually cancells maybe 85% on noises.
and it's not just my opinion if you search reputabl;e reviews they all confirm Bose QC Earbuds is the king of ANC.
Sound Quality? defenitely Bose is better.

What AirPods Pro have are : smaller size,a little easier integration with Apple devices,better quality mic.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I tested both AirPods Pro and Bose QC Earbuds extensively.
Yes the AirPods Pro has better quality mic.
Comfort is subjective.for some Airpods Pro will fit better for some Bose QC Earbuds.
The Bose definitely has MUCH more effective ANC.they are close to ANC level of full sized Bose/Sony headphones.so if you feel AirPods Pro ANC is "so effective" you will be blown away by Bose ANC.I put it this way,AirPods Pro ANC is not really noise cancelling but noise reduction,maybe 60% reduction vs Bose C ANC actually cancells maybe 85% on noises.
and it's not just my opinion if you search reputabl;e reviews they all confirm Bose QC Earbuds is the king of ANC.
Sound Quality? defenitely Bose is better.

What AirPods Pro have are : smaller size,a little easier integration with Apple devices,better quality mic.
I have bose qc 35 ii. They fit me better than the competition and the sound quality is good. While the APP do not approach that level, they are good enough to eliminate the noise when I ride public transportation. (to a fault of making me anxious) The quality of the mic is important as when I am on a call I always use my airpods. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

12aklabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2022
My left bud is not always connecting to my iPhone so I have purchased some Airpods 3. I feel they are the best fit for me and what I do.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

TIA
I mean, I would say, given that you still have your 2017 ones, to wait until the new ones are released. Likely the new ones will have better support for the current features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.