Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello everyone.

Normally I wouldn't purchase the airpods pro as they're not the product for me.
When it comes to everyday use, audio quality is my only priority, and I already got better sounding earbuds.
Not to mention a 2nd generation is clearly coming soon.

That said, I just received some airpods pro as a gift and I wanted to ask you a few things without testing them first, as I would like to keep the package unopen if I choose to sell them.

My questions are:
  • Is the ANC really that good? I'm wondering as I could use these earbuds to sleep with ANC; I was wondering how effective they are with the general sounds of an household (people talking, general house noises and so on). Also do you think the airbuds pro are comfortable enough to be worn while sleeping? I'm asking all the above as I often sleep during the day.
  • How's the latency when using them with macOS? I'm asking as I could use them when I work on my mac, but I need a good sync as I sometimes work with video editing
  • How's the experience when paired with the apple TV 4K 2nd gen? I heared there were some cool features like spatial sound.
Basically I need your help in determining if I could get some decent use from them or if I should just sell them as unopened.

Thank you very much.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
(1) ANC depends a lot on your expectations. I have had the Pros since their release and I was disappointed BUT a lot of that is my expectations. ANC does very little for people talking - it works best on a continuous repeated sounds, like aircraft engines - when my wife is playing MahJong with her friends the AirPods Pro muffle the talking but doesn't get rid of it.
(2) Can't really comment - I do occasionally watch videos/TV/Movies on my Mac but rarely bother to put in the APP. I have the M1 iMac with the Surround Sound which to me sounds really good, but don't notice any latency for the few times I watch a video. And rarely do video/FaceTime/Zoom calls, but don't have any issues.
(3) With my Apple TV - again I generally use my sound bar/sub-woofer combination but those times I don't want to disturb my better half I will pop the APPs in. And the Spatial Audio sounds to me amazing. Probably not as good as a dedicated surround sound system, but still lots of fun to listen to.

Reactions: JippaLippa

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
(1) ANC depends a lot on your expectations. I have had the Pros since their release and I was disappointed BUT a lot of that is my expectations. ANC does very little for people talking - it works best on a continuous repeated sounds, like aircraft engines - when my wife is playing MahJong with her friends the AirPods Pro muffle the talking but doesn't get rid of it.
(2) Can't really comment - I do occasionally watch videos/TV/Movies on my Mac but rarely bother to put in the APP. I have the M1 iMac with the Surround Sound which to me sounds really good, but don't notice any latency for the few times I watch a video. And rarely do video/FaceTime/Zoom calls, but don't have any issues.
(3) With my Apple TV - again I generally use my sound bar/sub-woofer combination but those times I don't want to disturb my better half I will pop the APPs in. And the Spatial Audio sounds to me amazing. Probably not as good as a dedicated surround sound system, but still lots of fun to listen to.
Thank you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.