Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LanerJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2021
Many major US retailers are offering AirPods Pro at a steep discount, which is a sign of offloading soon-to-be last gen inventory. If you want a pair, get them now, they're a great deal with the current sale. Amazon, Walmart, and Target all have them around $174, $75 off the normal price. This is a very strong sign that the new model is releasing soon, possibly at the spring keynote.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It sort of makes me wonder if, at scale, they haven't really moved in the quantity Apple/retailers wanted or expected.

The MSRP is honestly really really aggressive for what they are.

It's a great product, don't get me wrong, but really the Apple MSRP on them should be about $199 max.

Reactions: onenorth

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It sort of makes me wonder if, at scale, they haven't really moved in the quantity Apple/retailers wanted or expected.

The MSRP is honestly really really aggressive for what they are.

It's a great product, don't get me wrong, but really the Apple MSRP on them should be about $199 max.
Costco's $169 price of the Pro's convinced me to update my aging 1st gen Airpods and pass on the gen3's that were either the same price or really close..

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Costco's $169 price of the Pro's convinced me to update my aging 1st gen Airpods and pass on the gen3's that were either the same price or really close..

Yep -- clearing 'em out it would seem.

Was just at our local Costco and the new AP3s were $149 right now also

To me it's less about price difference between them and more just about use case and preference.
The open style (ambient sound gets in) design of the AP 1/2/3 excel in different ways vs the APP.

(full isolation isn't always preferable, and many of us don't find transparency mode to be "the same" as actual ambient noise getting in)

Nice to have both options for sure.

I'm personally still an AP2 user, despite extensive time with APP and a fair bit of time with AP3s

I just prefer the much more "can't even tell it's in my ear" feel of the AP2 design.

AirPods are basically just for casual podcasts and media consumption with my iPad for me at home, so a very specific set of needs. I don't even use them for calls, as nothing touches wired EarPods for me at the desk.

Reactions: Wokis and BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.