Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pslice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Jordan, AR
I ordered a set of Airpods Pro from Amazon. They had a great sale. The box arrived via UPS and the product box was rattling inside the cardboard box. I open the box and the Airpods Pro box was empty of any product. The cardboard box was punched through the bottom and I am assuming that is how the item was stolen. I reported to Amazon, they are replacing them (crossing my fingers that it gets here intact) and the AppleCare I purchased was assigned to the SN on the Apple box. Apple said as soon as I get the replacement Airpods to call, and they would switch to the new SN. I just want to know how do I report this to law enforcement? Apple doesn't police an improper registration, but which level of law enforcement should I contact, local, State, or FBI, CIA, or whatever. I would like the thief to feel some pain. Any ideas?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Definitely not the CIA, they are an intelligence agency, not law enforcement. I'd think local police for theft, and FBI for tampering with interstate mail. But it might be hard to get them to pay attention to a single instance of what amounts to petty theft.

Reactions: BreakYurAnkles

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Seems strange that they would even bother to put the product box back in the shipping box. So you're saying the bottom of the shipping box had been punched out and then taped back in place? It also seems UPS would need to be the one to report the theft since it happened while in their system. I don't think it would be productive for you to try to pursue it. Amazon is taking care of you.

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
It would be covered by UPS's insurance, so they would be the ones to file a report.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Hey dont feel bad, girlfriend ordered me a pair direct from Apple for Christmas. When I opened the box Christmas morning, the Airpods box was floating inside, unsealed and empty. Took Apple about an hour after we called to find out who stole it on the line and sent out my replacements I had to wait like 3 weeks for. Im gonna take a wild guess that whoever was responsible for putting my Airpods in the shipping box at the factory is now wishing he could collect unemployment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.