Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Wow... just wow. I'm starting to remember why Apple wasn't my choice of company for things. My AirPods Pros went through the washing machine. That was my mistake. I admit to it, I even told Apple that, etc. I decided well, let's see what Apple can do, if anything. And yeah, the advisors need more training on how to approach these situations a bit more delicately. They advised I could replace them for $297.09. Got disconnected and the new advisor told me it would be better to buy new ones, but the first one didn't advise of that. Its like well how's that for price gouging.

Overall, I'm frustrated I didn't check my coat pocket before throwing it into the wash, but still.... these AirPods Pros aren't even 4 months old yet and I ruined them. I feel like such an idiot. But what can you do? Live and learn.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I'm guessing the pricing is a la carte and you're dealing with someone reading from a script and/or hasn't had their coffee. Sucks, but they have to give people a reason to buy Apple Care.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'm guessing the pricing is a la carte and you're dealing with someone reading from a script and/or hasn't had their coffee. Sucks, but they have to give people a reason to buy Apple Care.
I generally do get Apple Care and I didn't; why? I have no idea, but my watch, my mba, and my phone all have AppleCare, so why not the Airpod Pros? Ugh. I'm an idiot, that's why. Just a stupid idiot....

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I generally do get Apple Care and I didn't; why? I have no idea, but my watch, my mba, and my phone all have AppleCare, so why not the Airpod Pros? Ugh. I'm an idiot, that's why. Just a stupid idiot....

The AirPods might be the one place where it really isn't worth it. They'd still charge you $100 for accidental damage. You would've paid $30 up front. A refurb pair is $180 at best buy. You'd have saved $50. I think I'd risk it too. Bad luck though. $50 is $50.

Reactions: slooksterPSV

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
The AirPods might be the one place where it really isn't worth it. They'd still charge you $100 for accidental damage. You would've paid $30 up front. A refurb pair is $180 at best buy. You'd have saved $50. I think I'd risk it too. Bad luck though. $50 is $50.
Super funny. Costco had the Pros for $170 yesterday.

Reactions: Taco1933

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Ah sad times man.
I ruined my left first gen AirPod. The mic doesn’t work on it so I can’t have it in my ears for phone calls. My fault as I think I messed it up as I was washing my face with them in my ears.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I ruined my left first gen AirPod. The mic doesn’t work on it so I can’t have it in my ears for phone calls. My fault as I think I messed it up as I was washing my face with them in my ears.
Can't you select which AirPod to use as the mic? (or is this just a Gen2/Pro feature?)

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Mine went in the washing machine 2 months ago, 60min cycle at 60° then on the rack, then when I couldn’t find them after 40 min of swearing I checked my pants and there they were. Clean and working perfectly ?

regarding the offered solution, I’m not surprised, apple customer care is just hopeless. When I need something I call and don’t even explain my issue I just ask to talk to a senior advisor directly.

Reactions: slooksterPSV

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
Can't you select which AirPod to use as the mic? (or is this just a Gen2/Pro feature?)
I can’t have both in my on a call. If I do the mics don’t work so I have to only have the right one in on calls.

i think that’s maybe a gen 2 thing.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Mine went in the washing machine 2 months ago, 60min cycle at 60° then on the rack, then when I couldn’t find them after 40 min of swearing I checked my pants and there they were. Clean and working perfectly

regarding the offered solution, I’m not surprised, apple customer care is just hopeless. When I need something I call and don’t even explain my issue I just ask to talk to a senior advisor directly.

Dang. Mine has issues charging. I have to keep taking it off and putting it back on. It resets every time I put the AirPods in their case on my 12 mini but work just fine on my MBA and iPad Air. It’s almost like yeah they do have damage but the iPhone has a bug which is causing it require reconnection. Super weird.

sierrablue

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2021
Last year, I returned my Airpods Gen 2 to Costco and bought the Airpods Pro when they went on sale for $170. I had the Airpods Gen 2 for almost a year. There was actually something wrong with them. Sometimes one of the pods would not connect. You have to love Costco's return policy.

Reactions: Taco1933
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.