Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
I have some AirPods Pro which I bought in Apr 2020. They've been great since I had them but for some reason the left AirPod has started making a weird 'whistling' noise for the last few weeks - even touching the stem seems to make the whistle louder.

Do you think they would be eligible for repair under this service program? The noise does seem worse when I am outdoors or at the gym https://support.apple.com/en-gb/airpods-pro-service-program-sound-issues

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Only Apple can answer that question. As for the noise itself, do you hear it in all three modes (noise cancellation, transparency, and off)? If so, does the sound change at all when you switch modes?

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Can hear it in all 3 modes but a lot more noticeably with ANC.

Just done a support chat and they’re sending me a mail in box to have a look at them - originally wanted to charge me £226 for the pleasure of checking them, but when I questioned the repair program they said that they won’t charge ?‍♂️

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I get a whistling sound when I’m out running and push my left AirPod Pro back into my ears. It stops as soon as I stop touching it. I’ve had this for about a year now and it has never gotten worse. It only happens when I touch the AirPod.

I don’t get it with my right one.

Orandelta

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2022
I have had success by pressing blu tack into the black grille ports, particularly the mic (outward facing) port. Works great to rid the silicone cap and it's grille of earwax too. Just a pea sized ball will do, then throw it away afterward for the love of all things good :D

After I did that, there was so much more clarity in transparency mode, remarkable improvement. Previously, a tap or transient ambient noise particularly involving low frequencies would generate a quiet "beep" or whistle, which could be oscillations caused by the blockages. I could see teeny tiny blobs of dirt were pulled out by the blu tack even though it looked "clean" before.

Last edited:
Reactions: dubvulture

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Yourmn, what ever happened? Did Apple replace?

Sorry forgot to reply to this!

Sent the AirPods off in the box that they sent out and they were returned to me “repaired” about a week later. The whistling has gone, no idea what was actually done, but I was impressed since they’re out of warranty

• Love
Reactions: addamas

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Sorry forgot to reply to this!

Sent the AirPods off in the box that they sent out and they were returned to me “repaired” about a week later. The whistling has gone, no idea what was actually done, but I was impressed since they’re out of warranty
They should’ve sent you an email with details of what happened. At least, Apple Support could tell you more (if you’re curious).

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
They should’ve sent you an email with details of what happened. At least, Apple Support could tell you more (if you’re curious).
Just checked the email and this is all it says, doesn't give any more info when you log in either. I could contact them i guess though.
Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 21.22.18.png

yourmn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Nope nothing further apart from an email saying they’d been despatched. This is going back to January too so not expecting anything now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.