Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zirosky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hello,

I just got the Airpods Pro with MagSafe but I would like to use them with a protective case as the case itself gets scratched too easily. It is not clear if buying one of the cases sold on the Apple Store (like the Incase one) will allow the MagSafe magnet to work?! Do you have any ideas or know any MagSafe-compatible case?

Thank you!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
There is weak(close to none) magnetic attachment using the MagSafe charger, you just place the case on the center of the puck.. I use the Nomad leather case for my Pro's and it charges fine so I'm sure the cases your talking about would work too.
See video at 52 sec:

Last edited:

zirosky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
There is weak(close to none) magnetic attachment using the MagSafe charger, you just place the case on the center of the puck.. I use the Nomad leather case for my Pro's and it charges fine so I'm sure the cases your talking about would work too.
See video at 52 sec:
thanks! But then what is the difference vs the wireless charging model that was available before if it doesnt feature any magnets?! Isn't the same?!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
thanks! But then what is the difference vs the wireless charging model that was available before if it doesnt feature any magnets?! Isn't the same?!
I guess it charges faster? Not really sure but I've tried it on several different wireless chargers and it works on all of them. The great thing is no matter what you use they charge quickly

zirosky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
It is quite odd, this article says:

The new case doesn’t claim to charge Apple’s AirPod products any faster; it just has the magnets needed to attach to Apple’s MagSafe charging puck for easier alignment when charging. AirPods already worked with MagSafe, thanks to the broader Qi charging spec, so it’s more of a slight convenience than anything else, but it's good to see Apple expanding MagSafe to more products.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It is quite odd, this article says:

The new case doesn’t claim to charge Apple’s AirPod products any faster; it just has the magnets needed to attach to Apple’s MagSafe charging puck for easier alignment when charging. AirPods already worked with MagSafe, thanks to the broader Qi charging spec, so it’s more of a slight convenience than anything else, but it's good to see Apple expanding MagSafe to more products.

Not sure how strong the magnet is supposed to be but it's nowhere near the magnetism of the MagSafe phone connection or the AppleWatch

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
If the non MagSafe phone cases are anything to go by you wont get any snapping

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.