Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
For people who own AirPods, I have a few questions.
  • Is there any BlueTooth hiss? A lot of BT headphones I have tried have a hissing sound that's noticeable when you have them in your ears with no sound playing.
  • Do both microphones work independently? Could I have two people using one earbud each on a Skype or FaceTime call and it would pick up both people's audio?
  • How is the microphone audio quality? I have called one person who was using AirPods, and my impression was that the microphone did not sound as good as the in-line mic on EarPods.
  • Do they work well with MacBook Pro? Mine is 2012, if that matters.
  • Is there delay? I have used BT headphones that are handy for music/podcasts, but as soon as you try to watch a YouTube video, you can tell the connection is not as fast as wired headphones. This would be important to me, as I would watch and edit videos with them.
Also, I'm wondering if these are safe to buy, because they're not on the MacRumors Buyer's Guide. There haven't been any rumors of a new version, right?
I would like a Gen 2 with touch-sensitive stems for volume control.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Thanks for weighing in - could you please expound on how the dual microphones do/don't work?
They are independent, I don't think it always uses both sides to pick up sound. There is actually a dominant AirPod that is connected to the case then the secondary bud connects to the one who is tethered to the case. The one connected to the case is the one which is going to use the microphone.
This is also why some people noticeably see one AirPod lose charge faster than another.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
They are independent, I don't think it always uses both sides to pick up sound. There is actually a dominant AirPod that is connected to the case then the secondary bud connects to the one who is tethered to the case. The one connected to the case is the one which is going to use the microphone.
This is also why some people noticeably see one AirPod lose charge faster than another.
That's great to know. What is the secondary microphone for, then?

hendrilei

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015

Ic .... Never thought of it. Have you tested it ?

For the delay, yes no delay to hear the sound / music, but there's some delay in the mic (we cannot use for smule. Our sound will delayed)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.