Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncnv321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
Hey, I'm new and I just made this account for the soul purpose of getting this question answered if anyone here can help me out.
I need to know what battery the Airpods Charging case uses, and where I can get myself one (not the case, just the battery itself)
lastly, I also need help to figure out how the magnetic charging in the Airpods Charging case works, from inside to the outside.
Thank you in advance!
(I am aware of the teardown of the Apple Airpods by iFixit, as mentioned by DeltaMac, but I need to know where to get a battery like it and how the magnetic charging works!)

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
From what I see on the teardown of that case by iFixit, you can't replace the charging case battery without destroying the case.
But, you can see what that battery looks like - scroll down to step 16. Good picture.
I expect that if that battery fails, replacing the charging case with new is your fix for that.

ncnv321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
From what I see on the teardown of that case by iFixit, you can't replace the charging case battery without destroying the case.
But, you can see what that battery looks like - scroll down to step 16. Good picture.
I expect that if that battery fails, replacing the charging case with new is your fix for that.
Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I have seen the video and website of them doing it, but I need to know where to get a battery like it from a specific company or retailer if thats possible

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I thought that if you looked at that teardown, you might have noticed the theme of that particular procedure:
Replacing that battery is, unfortunately, not a realistic goal. You have to basically destroy the case just to get to the battery.

But then, there's always duck tape. That will fix anything. :rolleyes:

I imagine there is an identification list for batteries, posted somewhere, where you could source that battery to the manufacturer from the variety of clear markings in the picture of the battery (I don't know that for sure, but possible anyway)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.