Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
3rd parties are already advertising straps for the AirPods. Though the ones below cover the mics. #stupid

https://airpodstrap.co

According to Jason Snell the AirPods actually fit better in his ears than the EarPods do and he thinks it's because there's no strap pulling them down. Once again Apple being singled out for something others are already doing. Do these accessory makers make straps for the other no wire earbuds on the market? Are people complaining about losing these too?

Bragi_Dash_LeftRight.jpg

gear_iconx_black_box_1.png

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I don't mind the lack of straps, actually love it! I do mind the lack of rubber on the airpods though. Would make
Them way more likely to stay in your ear.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
3rd parties are already advertising straps for the AirPods. Though the ones below cover the mics. #stupid

According to Jason Snell the AirPods actually fit better in his ears than the EarPods do and he thinks it's because there's no strap pulling them down. Once again Apple being singled out for something others are already doing. Do these accessory makers make straps for the other no wire earbuds on the market? Are people complaining about losing these too?
Funny, I just posted a simalar thought a few minutes ago on a different thread.

In regard to your question "Are people complaining about losing these too?", that was covered on another site a couple of days ago:

The AirPod conundrum

Lastly, Apple introduced a new product—a pair of wireless headphones in a charging case—that stoked "outrage" in that the product is small enough to misplace or lose. This was an entirely new epiphany the tech media—and meme authors at Reddit—collectively appreciated in common.

Never before had small electronic devices posed such an obvious loss threat to affluent consumers. Certainly not this summer when Motorola introduced its more expensive and even smaller (but poorly reviewed) VerveOnes+; nor when Samsung unveiled its similarly more expensive Gear IconX buds, which aren't standard Bluetooth buds and won't work with iOS devices.

Did you even notice that Apple's AirPod pricing was about 20 percent less than similar offerings from Motorola and Samsung? No journalists seemed to. Apple's also appear to work better, and they can function as standard Bluetooth devices with Android and Windows, albeit lacking the special sauce magic that enhances the experience on Apple Watch, iOS and Macs.
Editorial: Apple's AirPods, iPhone 7, Series 2 Watch out... journalists

Reactions: blasto2236

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Just as bad as screen protectors and cases. Completely ruins the design and engineering behind the product. I like to use things as they were originally intended.

Reactions: mmomega

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Thebairpods themselves are lacking in design to me. I guess Apple felt the free buds they throw in with every order was the best they could do?

I can understand the want and concern for a strap. It is what it is. I don't expect air pods to be a hit; their Bluetooth headset was a flop after all. Maybe I'm wrong.

Omen87

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Kansas, USA
If that is the design they are planning on going with then they will be totally covering the main microphones.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, I saw that strap too. It makes very little sense, like others have mentioned, because it covers the mic and it covers the charging port. Not only will you have to put them in the strap and take them out of it to charge the airpods, but you have to carry the strap around with you all the time. That seems like poor design to me, especially since people could just buy a different pair of BT headphones, or the new Beats with a W1 chips, that have a wire between the headphones.

I read the article that sinsin07 took an excerpt from and I had the same thoughts myself. There have been a good number of wireless headphones released that don't have straps and cost much more than the airpods yet they don't receive the same criticism. Most of the people complaining about possibly losing the airpods are the people that wouldn't have bought them in the first place and just want something to complain about; or to write an article to generate traffic. If you can't look after your $159 purchase then you shouldn't make it in the first place. Heck, some of these people that are trashing them say they wouldn't even think of spending more than $30 on headphones in the first place.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Thebairpods themselves are lacking in design to me. I guess Apple felt the free buds they throw in with every order was the best they could do?

I can understand the want and concern for a strap. It is what it is. I don't expect air pods to be a hit; their Bluetooth headset was a flop after all. Maybe I'm wrong.

None of us know how good the sound quality on these things are. I'd be willing to pay $150 for them if sound quality is genuinely good because:

• earpods are so comfortable to wear
  • tangled wires are a pain
  • They can charge in your pocket ( I think this is awesome)
  • I can wear them when I sleep and listen to music and can safely roll my head on the pillow.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
None of us know how good the sound quality on these things are. I'd be willing to pay $150 for them if sound quality is genuinely good because:

• earpods are so comfortable to wear
  • tangled wires are a pain
  • They can charge in your pocket ( I think this is awesome)
  • I can wear them when I sleep and listen to music and can safely roll my head on the pillow.
I wasn't necessarily speaking about sound quality, but since you mentioned it, every preliminary report I've heard say they sound about the same. Certainly we will know more in the coming months, but that wasn't my point.

The design was shocking and frankly garish to me. Perhaps Apple was thinking iconic design or what have you. If you like it, more power to you. I was only sharing my opinion; I don't see the magic. I see earbuds with little stick hanging out of them. I see EarPods with the cables cut off the ends.

As far as charging in your pocket, you aren't wrong but there are nearly half a dozen product in this same category. It's great, but not unique. It doesn't have to be unique, mind you, but for me not necessarily a selling bullet point. I imagine most if not all products in this category going forward will employ this sort of tech.

As far as listening in bed, this is not contention. I simply stated I can see the need for a product like this. I can't imagine the trouble these will give to runners and bikers or really anyone doing physical activity. Popping an earbud while running is a drag. Piping one of these while running would be more of a drag.

Again, this won't be a problem for everyone. I just see people utilizing this product. And for what it does I don't even know that covering the mic is a problem. In the middle of s run nobody is concerned about picking up a phone call. I guess turning the volume down might be a drag.

As far as answering the OP's question about similar products lacking s leash, I do have a few potential answers. First and foremost Apple is an enormous company under the spotlight. Surely we can expect the criticism (or lack of) that s tiny startup like bragi gets to match that of Apple. Fwiw the bragi is getting terrible reviews and the Samsung version had heavy initial criticism for low projected matter capacity. Second, many sports oriented buds have gel or some sort of rubber cushion to mold to the ear and this keep it in. The airpods are all Plastic and a known entity. By that I mean that we have all white literslly felt them in out ears before (unless we've just avoided EarPods) and know how well (or not) they stay in. For those that thisnisnnotnsnproblem for, don't sweat it. For those that it is a problem for, this is a legitimate concern. I have to say I'm a little surprised Apple didn't decide to do some sort of optionally thin silicone sleeve or sport loop or something.
[doublepost=1473681297][/doublepost]
Yeah, I saw that strap too. It makes very little sense, like others have mentioned, because it covers the mic and it covers the charging port. Not only will you have to put them in the strap and take them out of it to charge the airpods, but you have to carry the strap around with you all the time. That seems like poor design to me, especially since people could just buy a different pair of BT headphones, or the new Beats with a W1 chips, that have a wire between the headphones.

I read the article that sinsin07 took an excerpt from and I had the same thoughts myself. There have been a good number of wireless headphones released that don't have straps and cost much more than the airpods yet they don't receive the same criticism. Most of the people complaining about possibly losing the airpods are the people that wouldn't have bought them in the first place and just want something to complain about; or to write an article to generate traffic. If you can't look after your $159 purchase then you shouldn't make it in the first place. Heck, some of these people that are trashing them say they wouldn't even think of spending more than $30 on headphones in the first place.
I think this is more oriented towards the folks they plan to do physical activity. Having s headphone pop out ofnhesr ear and roll into the gutter is a bummer. Not only does that totally ruin your run, you just lost s rather expensive piece of technology.

This is pure conjecture but I just imagine a some cord with silicone tips that easily slip on and off. Essentially the tension of the silicone tube stretching over the tips of the buds is what keeps the cord on. I suppose we will know more when it releases.

Last edited:

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I would be interested in a strap for running. I would likely take it off otherwise. However, it needs to somehow expose the mic or else it cripples the functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.