Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tailor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Hi there

I received my AirPods in the UK on the 19th December, and only had a chance to test them properly today.

With the dock and both AirPods charged to 100%, I started a phone conversation using both AirPods at the same time (I know that I can use one AirPod at a time).

45 minutes into my conversation, the left AirPod made a low battery warning sound. By 1 hour 11 minutes into the conversation, the left AirPod died. The right AirPod continued to function for the remaining 3 minutes of the conversation. When I checked the right AirPod after, it had 24% battery left.

I contacted Apple and they have kindly requested that I return them for a refund or an exchange if I am not happy. I think these AirPods are fantastic, but that limited talk time is off putting.

What I wanted to know is if the talk time I am experiencing is normal for these AirPods, or are mine defective?

Many thanks

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
45 minutes into my conversation, the left AirPod made a low battery warning sound. By 1 hour 11 minutes into the conversation, the left AirPod died. The right AirPod continued to function for the remaining 3 minutes of the conversation. When I checked the right AirPod after, it had 24% battery left.
I have not experienced this and I have an interest in making sure that the Airpods work correctly for calls.

Someone else posted a correction for this by fully draining the batteries in the pods and the case then recharging.

It worked for him.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
What I wanted to know is if the talk time I am experiencing is normal for these AirPods, or are mine defective?

It's not like Apple doesn't publish specs. Oh, I know, you shouldn't have to look that up, that's what other people are for. Here.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Power and Battery
AirPods with Charging Case: More than 24 hours listening time,(3) up to 11 hours talk time(6)

AirPods (single charge): Up to 5 hours listening time,(2) Up to 2 hours talk time(5)

15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time(4) or over an hour of talk time(7)

5) Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction AirPods units and software paired with preproduction iPhone 7 units and software. Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge with a cellular phone call until the first AirPod stopped playing call audio. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
As a sidenote, the difference in battery usage is likely because only one AirPod's microphone at a time is used to pick up your voice. The AirPod with the active microphone will die first when using both AirPods.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.