Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
What do you mean? It will likely be backward compatible with BT 4.2, possibly even firmware upgradable to BT 5, current Macs will only be able to connect at 4.2, new Macs will likely be able to connect using the W1 chip and BT 5 as well. I'm sure the W1 will ensure AAC encoding throughout, but otherwise, it'll be standard BT.

I mean are we limited to SBC (required) and AAC (super likely). Are they going to throw in Apt-X or some new codec hidden in iOS 10.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I mean are we limited to SBC (required) and AAC (super likely). Are they going to throw in Apt-X or some new codec hidden in iOS 10.

I seriously doubt you'll see aptX on iOS or compatible with the W1 chip. AAC is Apple's answer to that.

I understand that it is possible to activate AptX under OS X, but only headphones designed for it will benefit.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
When you say pairs with the box, is that a one time deal? You don't need to carry the box around with you, do you?

Yes. You open the box/case and select Connect on your iPhone and you don't have to pair it to devices on your iCloud account again.

EDIT to add: but you should also carry the case around because it also charges your earpieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Today I'm just thinking.. What if we play music from iPad or Mac, can we use Apple Watch to adjust volume on AirPods, or skip song? No one mentioned this so far.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Today I'm just thinking.. What if we play music from iPad or Mac, can we use Apple Watch to adjust volume on AirPods, or skip song? No one mentioned this so far.
Good question. I don't think so. The "magic" is that it auto-pairs to whatever devices is initiating playback. E.g. when it's connected to the iPhone but you press play on the Apple Watch, it switches to the watch. While useful, this still means that it just does whatever the device it's connected to is doing. One of your devices can't suddenly control any of the others, just because they can all be paired to the same AirPods. So I guess the only way to control this through the watch would be by using some sort of remote app that triggers actions on the paired device, e.g. the Overcast watch app.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
That makes sense @C64. I just hope Apple could find a way to have Apple Waych communicate with AirPods all the time, like lowering volume is lowering volume irregardless of the source. But yeah.. The lack of mention of this likely means it can't.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Good question. I don't think so. The "magic" is that it auto-pairs to whatever devices is initiating playback. E.g. when it's connected to the iPhone but you press play on the Apple Watch, it switches to the watch. While useful, this still means that it just does whatever the device it's connected to is doing. One of your devices can't suddenly control any of the others, just because they can all be paired to the same AirPods.

I think earphone controls work from any device even though the sound comes from only one source.

I hope it continues that way.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I think earphone controls work from any device even though the sound comes from only one source.
But how would that work exactly?

Example: I'm playing a video in VLC on a Mac.

I open up an iPhone, and do *something* on the phone to either play/pause VLC or to change the AirPods' volume. How does the phone know that volume up/down switches should change the volume of VLC or the Mac or the AirPods, and not the ringer or volume on the phone? And how could it even play/pause VLC? Using which app/control? And with the Apple Watch it's the same problem. What and where do I tap, and how does it know it's intended for the AirPods or another device?
[doublepost=1473862485][/doublepost]
Hard for me to tell from the images but can anyone talk about the shape? I use EarSkinz https://amzn.com/B00OBSKSCW to keep them in my ears comfortably. The plain ones just slip out.
Seems like those skins can be used with the new ones as well, if they cut out a few more small holes for the new sensors.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
But how would that work exactly?
I open up an iPhone, and do *something* on the phone to either play/pause VLC or to change the AirPods' volume. How does the phone know that volume up/down switches should change the volume of VLC or the Mac or the AirPods, and not the ringer or volume on the phone? And how could it even play/pause VLC? Using which app/control? And with the Apple Watch it's the same problem. What and where do I tap, and how does it know it's intended for the AirPods or another device?

So many questions.

Trust.

Trust in W1.

Trust in Tim.

Magical, you know.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
What do you mean? It will likely be backward compatible with BT 4.2, possibly even firmware upgradable to BT 5, current Macs will only be able to connect at 4.2, new Macs will likely be able to connect using the W1 chip and BT 5 as well. I'm sure the W1 will ensure AAC encoding throughout, but otherwise, it'll be standard BT.

He's asking if it uses Apt-X, AAC or AD2P. I believe all iOS devices use AAC but there might be more encoding decoding going on since there is allegedly a stronger connection which in my guess would mean either higher bandwidth in the transmission or higher compression that maintains quality; similar Apple Lossless/AAC.

Only my best guess though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.