Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tembelreis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
I had my AirPods since Monday and am absolutely very impressed with them.

Sound quality much better than I expected (and definitely better than EarPods unlike some critics claimed). Battery is good enough and it charges so quick. I like the carry case, too. It also charges very quick. Won't even go into pairing and switching. It just works! On my Mac, I was watching youtube with AirPods, went to Outlook to check an email so youtube was still playing at the background. Then someone came across to ask me something, I removed one of the airpods and it paused the youtube. Put it back on, it resumed. If this is not convenience, what is? Being wire free is just great. And AirPods does it in style. I can't wait to see how this product will evolve in the coming years.

Also, I now totally get why there are no 1,2,3 etc. taps for more control. It is not convenient to keep touching the AirPods when wearing. But I am still struggling with volume control. Siri is not for me to do this. So I hope Apple will allow Apple Watch to do more with it. i.e. making the digital crown to work as a volume control when in sleep and watch mode.

Another issue I have is, sometimes when there is no music/call on I hear this very subtle buzzing sound on the AirPods. It feels almost like interference. Not sure when and why it happens but it doesn't always happen.

Anyway, I have one good tip; if you have Apple Watch and click the battery complication or icon from menu, it also shows remaining charge of the airpods. see attached.

Do you have any good tips?

Attachments

• IMG_2790.JPG
    IMG_2790.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Reactions: gemnilocs

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Mine won't show the AirPod's battery on my Apple Watch. Did you have to change any settings?

tembelreis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
This is actually another thing I am experiencing; my watch keeps disconnecting from AirPods. So need to check from BT settings if the airpods are connected. Once they are, they automatically appear on the battery screen. I just saw this on the main page as well: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/21/airpods-tidbits/ but incoming call doesn't work for me at all. In fact I was not able to play music from my watch to airpods yet, it keeps saying was not able to connect it.

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
I had my AirPods since Monday and am absolutely very impressed with them.

Sound quality much better than I expected (and definitely better than EarPods unlike some critics claimed). Battery is good enough and it charges so quick. I like the carry case, too. It also charges very quick. Won't even go into pairing and switching. It just works! On my Mac, I was watching youtube with AirPods, went to Outlook to check an email so youtube was still playing at the background. Then someone came across to ask me something, I removed one of the airpods and it paused the youtube. Put it back on, it resumed. If this is not convenience, what is? Being wire free is just great. And AirPods does it in style. I can't wait to see how this product will evolve in the coming years.

Also, I now totally get why there are no 1,2,3 etc. taps for more control. It is not convenient to keep touching the AirPods when wearing. But I am still struggling with volume control. Siri is not for me to do this. So I hope Apple will allow Apple Watch to do more with it. i.e. making the digital crown to work as a volume control when in sleep and watch mode.

Another issue I have is, sometimes when there is no music/call on I hear this very subtle buzzing sound on the AirPods. It feels almost like interference. Not sure when and why it happens but it doesn't always happen.

Anyway, I have one good tip; if you have Apple Watch and click the battery complication or icon from menu, it also shows remaining charge of the airpods. see attached.

Do you have any good tips?
I presume this only works when playing music directly from the watch to the airpods, I'm playing from my iPhone to the airpods and only see the normal battery information?

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
So is this only when you're pairing the AirPods to your watch? I keep all my music on my phone, so I've never paired BT to my AW.

tembelreis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
I presume this only works when playing music directly from the watch to the airpods, I'm playing from my iPhone to the airpods and only see the normal battery information?

nope it works even when they are connected to iphone. But check if they are connected to your watch. It is not clear to me when airpods connects to the watch.
[doublepost=1482340314][/doublepost]
So is this only when you're pairing the AirPods to your watch? I keep all my music on my phone, so I've never paired BT to my AW.
it always works for me except when for some reason BT connection drops.

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
nope it works even when they are connected to iphone. But check if they are connected to your watch. It is not clear to me when airpods connects to the watch.
Okay thanks rebooting AW how to see if that helps also.
[doublepost=1482340544][/doublepost]
Confirmed kicked the AW this now works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 209

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
how you get it to work and have the air pods battery % on watch face? can't seem to get it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I just rebooted the AW which I hadn't done in like a week or more to be honest.
Yeah mine works now

just a reboot of the watch does the trick.

Thanks all. Really like this feature. Means don't need to check my phone watch time i want to know how much battery is left

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This A Pod/watch combo is something.

**** the phone :D

issue: Of course they need to save the space grey option for a future update :(

Last edited:

mhoepfin

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014

I'm listening to music from my phone and can see the battery info of the airpods on the watch. What a great trick!

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
FYI - the battery status works for all W1 headphones.

Can anyone elaborate on Siri volume? What are the exact commands that can be used?

Attachments

• IMG_2927.PNG
    IMG_2927.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: asfalloth

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Wish they had the iPhone battery info by default rather than use a 3rd party app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.