Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I have 14P and AirPod 2 (normal ones.) They’ve been working fine until this week. They keep connecting/disconnecting every 5-10 seconds. I have removed them, reset from AirPods case, etc. iOS 16.1 bug?

Anyone else having this issue? My airpods are essentially unusable.

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I have this issue with my Macbook Pro running MacOS Ventura, my Airpods Pro disconnect frequently every few minutes - very annoying and hopefully a software issue that will be fixed.

GWLBE

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Same issue here with Airpods Pro and Airpods. Can't have a phone conversation. No problems when connected for Music and Foobar via bluetooth to phone. 16.1 on 14Pro Max. I updated from 16 to 16.1 didn't solve the problem.

Reactions: Rorosbutt

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
No problems here with iOS 16.1 (13PM) or Ventura 13.0 (M1 Mini, M1 MBA, 2019 iMac) with AirPods Pro (1st gen) or Max.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Same problem here. Fine with music. Rubbish for calls. Will start disconnecting/reconnecting after a few minutes.
Apple replaced them for me 6 months ago: same problem.

It is way worse on the iPhone (13) than on the Macs.

They recently started "disconnecting" while listening to music too, but it is very quick. The audio cuts out for a split second and comes back with what seems a slightly different EQ.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have no connectivity problems with my AirPods 2, AirPods Pro 2 or AirPods Max. If still under warranty I would contact Apple for a replacement. Also, are your AirPods software up to date.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
I understand that most people have no problems, but there is still a minority of users with these disconnection problems.

The software is up to date on both iPhone and all the Macs I use the Airpods with.
The Airpods' firmware is up to date.
I removed and re-added them to my account multiple times.
Apple replaced them under warranty (the pods, not the case) about 6 months ago as stated above. They said they were defective. Nothing changed, experiencing the same exact problems with the new pair.

I recently started using them without automatic ear detection. Seems better, but marginally, but haven't "tested" them long enough in this configuration.

Generally what happens is: you take a call on the phone with Airpods, all good. After 4 to 5 minutes they do disconnect (you hear the disconnecting noise). Then they reconnect after a few seconds, then disconnect again... and this behaviour goes on in a loop.

The problem seems to be more severe when using Whatsapp for calls, but happens also on normal phone calls/facetime. Just less frequently.

Likewise, connection is more stable while connected to computers (Mac mini Intel, M1 MacBook Pro) but the problem still happens. It just takes way longer.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I have no connectivity problems with my AirPods 2, AirPods Pro 2 or AirPods Max. If still under warranty I would contact Apple for a replacement. Also, are your AirPods software up to date.
All of my devices are up to date, I update on release dates. Everything was fine until ios 16 rolled around

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I understand that most people have no problems, but there is still a minority of users with these disconnection problems.

The software is up to date on both iPhone and all the Macs I use the Airpods with.
The Airpods' firmware is up to date.
I removed and re-added them to my account multiple times.
Apple replaced them under warranty (the pods, not the case) about 6 months ago as stated above. They said they were defective. Nothing changed, experiencing the same exact problems with the new pair.

I recently started using them without automatic ear detection. Seems better, but marginally, but haven't "tested" them long enough in this configuration.

Generally what happens is: you take a call on the phone with Airpods, all good. After 4 to 5 minutes they do disconnect (you hear the disconnecting noise). Then they reconnect after a few seconds, then disconnect again... and this behaviour goes on in a loop.

The problem seems to be more severe when using Whatsapp for calls, but happens also on normal phone calls/facetime. Just less frequently.

Likewise, connection is more stable while connected to computers (Mac mini Intel, M1 MacBook Pro) but the problem still happens. It just takes way longer.
I tried turning on “auto” connect Bc I leave the “when connect to last” but no luck. A little better on auto but still there :(

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
I tried turning on “auto” connect Bc I leave the “when connect to last” but no luck. A little better on auto but still there :(

So, I've tried disabling automatic ear detection and it was marginally better, but the headphones would still disconnect.
It also makes it harder to get some calls as the phone would default to internal speaker.

One thing: seems like normal phone calls and FaceTime calls are unaffected by the drops.

Whatsapp calls are a mess (connection drops after a few minutes).
Slack and teams last way longer but will drop eventually.

Reactions: Rorosbutt

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
So, I've tried disabling automatic ear detection and it was marginally better, but the headphones would still disconnect.
It also makes it harder to get some calls as the phone would default to internal speaker.

One thing: seems like normal phone calls and FaceTime calls are unaffected by the drops.

Whatsapp calls are a mess (connection drops after a few minutes).
Slack and teams last way longer but will drop eventually.
Yea…. I have no idea why this issue is still present. I have literally never had this issue since owning AirPods. Also, not sure why it’s not getting more attention. We can’t be the only ones having this.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Yes. Same issue yesterday.
Automatic ear detection disabled.

Had a 2 hours zoom call, Airpods connected to Mac Studio. All ok.

Then, 30 minutes Whatsapp call, they started dropping after 10/15 minutes.
Same with subsequent calls, on FaceTime too though.

Not sure if resetting the iPhone (backup > reinstall) might be helpful. Have you tried?

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Yep this is an issue my friend has with his APP2s. AirPods disconnecting for a few seconds and then reconnecting to his iPhone 14 Pro during calls over WhatsApp and FaceTime. All running latest firmware/iOS, both devices have been reset.

GWLBE

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Automatic ear detection disabled
Same issue. Ridiculous amount of money for something that doesn't work. Back to an old pair of wired headphones for
r conference calls and zoom.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Question for everyone: are you using both airpods or just one at a time in ear?

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
My AirPods Max disconnected a few days ago and won’t reconnect.

I tried a factory reset but the white blinking light doesn’t happen and they don’t show on device list.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Still didn't manage to fix the issue.

Disabling automatic ear detection makes the problem less bad. But still there.
My Airpods 3rd gen are essentially unusable for audio calls that last more than a couple of minutes.

On top of this, when on the Mac, every time I take them out of my ears, Apple Music launches (I never used Apple Music in my life).

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
I have AirPods Pro 2 (latest f/w) paired with my iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.3. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll be sitting at my desk and I have an incoming phone call. I pop both AirPods in my ears, hear the "bong" and then swipe to answer the call. The phone shows that it is using the first speaker option which is the speaker that you hold to your ear vs. being set to the AirPods. If I tap on the AirPods option, the majority of the time, the call hangs up. It otherwise takes a good 5 seconds for me to hear the caller on my AirPods. Once I am speaking to someone on my AirPods, every 5 or so calls, the AirPods will disconnect and the call transfers to my iPhone's speaker. It never used to be this way - used to be near instant connection when taking a call. Is anyone else having this problem??? After I answer a call, it's 5 seconds of "Hello, you there? Can you hear me? Helloooo? Oh, there you are..." every.single.time. It's extremely frustrating for me and my clients.

Marcopologist

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2024
London, UK
I have AirPods Pro 2 (latest f/w) paired with my iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.3. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll be sitting at my desk and I have an incoming phone call. I pop both AirPods in my ears, hear the "bong" and then swipe to answer the call. The phone shows that it is using the first speaker option which is the speaker that you hold to your ear vs. being set to the AirPods. If I tap on the AirPods option, the majority of the time, the call hangs up. It otherwise takes a good 5 seconds for me to hear the caller on my AirPods. Once I am speaking to someone on my AirPods, every 5 or so calls, the AirPods will disconnect and the call transfers to my iPhone's speaker. It never used to be this way - used to be near instant connection when taking a call. Is anyone else having this problem??? After I answer a call, it's 5 seconds of "Hello, you there? Can you hear me? Helloooo? Oh, there you are..." every.single.time. It's extremely frustrating for me and my clients.
I have the same issue, it got worse over time. I can't answer any voicecall on my iPhone. It's better on FaceTime it just takes longer. But teams or Discord works fine on iPhone, Mac, iPad. Not all the time, however. Went to the Apple Store several times and their tests said they were in perfect condition and they wouldn't replace them. I did manage to get a call with apple care tomorrow. Hopefully they can give me a replacement and I'll also raise this as an issue I've seen on multiple forums. I have AirPods Pro 2s (usb-c) bought in November 2023.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
Please let me know what you find. I now have a 15 pro and it no longer hangs up but takes a while to connect the call with my lightening APP2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.