Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Since nobody answered I am asking here. Is there anybody who can compare the new AirPods to the Apple In-Ear Headphones? I own one pair as my travel earbuds when I don't have the space to take my big studio size headphones on the road. They block sound when I sit in the bus next to some noisy people pretty good, as well as blocking my music for the people next to me. How do the AirPods compare to the Apple In-Ear Headphones?

Also do they fit as comfortably and safely as the in ear EarPods? I don't like the feel of the regular EarPods that come with the iPhones. Also they don't block enough outside noice. And my ears can't hold them for longer that a minute before they pop out. So curious to see how the AirPods compare to the In-Ear Headphones.

I have those here:
ME186

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I've got all 3, but haven't used the inear ones in ages. They never fit in my small ears, no matter which tip I used. But if I kept adjusting them they were OK. They sound better because they blocked outside noise and since they were deeper in the ear they of course sounded better.

I don't believe the EarPods and AirPods are designed to block outside noise, so if that's what you want, you aren't going to get it.

The freedom from the cord is so nice I can't believe it. If you want noise canceling and wireless, try the Powerbeats3 I've got those as well and they sound better. But now even that cord is too much :) I haven't tried any of the other solo or beats options.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I've got all 3, but haven't used the inear ones in ages. They never fit in my small ears, no matter which tip I used. But if I kept adjusting them they were OK. They sound better because they blocked outside noise and since they were deeper in the ear they of course sounded better.

I don't believe the EarPods and AirPods are designed to block outside noise, so if that's what you want, you aren't going to get it.

The freedom from the cord is so nice I can't believe it. If you want noise canceling and wireless, try the Powerbeats3 I've got those as well and they sound better. But now even that cord is too much :) I haven't tried any of the other solo or beats options.

Completely agree with this.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Airpods suck when it comes to blocking out any outside noise unless you are going to crank the sound a lot which can be dangerous to one's hearing.

The EarPods were no better.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
The Airpods fit about the same as the Earpods for me, but they stay in a lot better because they lack the wire. I don't see my Airpods as a replacement for my sound-isolating headphones. I've own the Apple In-Ear Headphones, and found them to be good for sound and noise isolation, but they made my ear canal ache after about an hour or two. The Airpods are much more comfortable in comparison for me. When I fly or want to block out bus, crowd, air conditioner, etc., I'll use my Bose QC 20i's. They sound great, but the wire and electronics/battery pack are cumbersome and really annoying if I'm moving around.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Thank you all. Seems I will just wait for the in-ear version then, if Apple ever releases them.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Agree that the AirPods are like the current EarPods. They are an open-air design with no built-in noise cancellation or passive noise reduction seal. They are practically transparent to outside sound, which can be beneficial in many situations. I'll still keep my Bose QC20i's, as well, for when I want to be enveloped in my own musical world. Hoping someday we see something like the QC20i's in a completely wireless form without a battery pack, neck collar, or otherwise.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
If you like the in-ear form factor look at an audiophile brand. I don't expect Apple to go back to in-ear soon, if ever. Those Apple in-ear weren't even well-received and received pretty poor reviews. You can do better for a fraction of the price.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
If you like the in-ear form factor look at an audiophile brand. I don't expect Apple to go back to in-ear soon, if ever. Those Apple in-ear weren't even well-received and received pretty poor reviews. You can do better for a fraction of the price.

Any recomendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.