Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi everyone,

I read so many comments about the AirPods sounding superior to the earpads. More bass!

What utter nonsense. I finally have a 2nd Gen pair and they sound virtually the same.

I also had (but traded in) a pair of Bose SoundSport Free and they sounded much better.

I do love:

1. no apparent lag with games, video, etc
2. super tiny case
3. convenience with Apple devices (although not as convenient as the Bose, press button to switch between paired devices)
4. Open and detailed sound
5. light

I don't like:
1. they sound just like the earpods
2. they sound too neutral
3. zero isolation
4. tricky to remove from the case, unless your fingers are made from glue

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I am using AirPods 2 and was also curious to figure out if the AirPods were just a wireless EarPods clone. Apparently not, as the driver in AirPods is slightly bigger and there are some other actual sound hardware differences. This 3 minute YouTube clip I found sums it up nicely:

For the sound quality, which is quite subjective, here is another interesting video to check, comparing the sound of AP2 to APP:

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I am using AirPods 2 and was also curious to figure out if the AirPods were just a wireless EarPods clone. Apparently not, as the driver in AirPods is slightly bigger and there are some other actual sound hardware differences. This 3 minute YouTube clip I found sums it up nicely:

For the sound quality, which is quite subjective, here is another interesting video to check, comparing the sound of AP2 to APP:

The driver is slightly bigger but not enough to make that much of a difference. YouTube reviews are generally biased.

Rtings.com is a more reliable source and comparing the two, mid/bass/treble is virtually the same, hence why they sound virtually the same.

It’s nice to believe they sound otherwise but it’s not the case.

However, the AirPods pro do sound different.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
4. tricky to remove from the case, unless your fingers are made from glue
Trick is to put your index finger on the back of the pod while it's in the case and move your index finger forward towards the front of the case. They come right out...My brother told me this trick and it actually works.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.