Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Does anybody know if there is an actual sound quality difference between the 1-2 generation AirPods (regular, not Pros) and the stock wired EarPods that Apple includes with their iPhones? As they both look nearly identical, do they use different drivers or do AirPods basically equal EarPods without wires?

Reactions: Dino F

peterpayne

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
They sound different, yes, but sound perception is also very personal so some people may not notice/care. The AirPods have more bass and fuller sound. Not night and day different, though. Just a little bit better.

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
They sound different, yes, but sound perception is also very personal so some people may not notice/care. The AirPods have more bass and fuller sound. Not night and day different, though. Just a little bit better.

Understood re: different sound perception, I am just wondering if they use different drivers, etc. altogether in a similar body (along the lines of iPhone SE compared to iPhone 5)?

one more

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Ok, for those of you interested, the driver in AirPods is slightly bigger and there are some other actual sound hardware differences. This 3 minute YouTube clip I found sums it up nicely:

Reactions: bobob

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

It's not sound perception. I guess you spend over £150 on a pair of AirPods, you want them to sound better than the earpods. I have both. They sound virtually the same.

Rtings reviewed both and the sound profile confirms this:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.