Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Does anyone know if this update is just for Airport Extreme, or if it will work for the older Snow base stations too? I couldn't find any info about it anywhere.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
It's not base station software, it's OS software (admin utility, etc.). I should perhaps also add that I'm still on 10.3.9.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
telecomm said:
It's not base station software, it's OS software (admin utility, etc.). I should perhaps also add that I'm still on 10.3.9.
I think you're wrong!
When I opened AirPort Admin Utility after installinh Airport Software 4.2 it prompted me to update the software on both my AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Hmmm... mine didn't update my Express.

Edit: Oops... after I clicked Configure it did prompt me to install the Express software (v6.2).

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

AirPort 4.2 is now in Software Update.

For Mac OS X:
AirPort 4.2 for Mac OS X software supports all models of Apple AirPort base stations including the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express models.

This update fixes compatibility with Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA2) security software on AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme base stations. This update also resolves IPv6 link local configuration issues.
For Windows:
This update fixes compatibility with Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA2) security software on AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme base stations. It also resolves issues with WPA2 on Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and Microsoft update KB893357.
Direct downloads:

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
tangerineyum said:
there's a whole lotta updating goin on these days, many busy programmers over at apple.

Based on my experience on corporate programming, I'd say the programmers are all idled now, and that these updates are just leaving testing and are being released. Odds are, if they are busy, it's on Airport 4.3, and that they finished with 4.2 like 3 months ago. :)

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
tangerineyum said:
there's a whole lotta updating goin on these days, many busy programmers over at apple.

Heading into holiday season, things slow down over this season so things are being thrown to leave room for more updates just at a slower pace.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
tangerineyum said:

I hope so, that's why we buy apple systems and software...
(not those dam ipods) :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
biohazard_6969 said:
why is this considered page 2 news while the other updates weren't?
Simply because it is of interest to a smaller user group and the changes made are likely to affect many fewer people than updates to, say, Mac OS X, iPhoto, etc.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
For reals?

Doctor Q said:
Simply because it is of interest to a smaller user group and the changes made are likely to affect many fewer people than updates to, say, Mac OS X, iPhoto, etc.

Perhaps it's because I'm at college and everyone has a laptop but wifi usage is much more prevalent than iPhoto usage. Heck, even my parents whose VCR still blinks 12:00 have a wireless router for their DSL. Out of curiosity, how many people here use wifi on their macs?

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
Airport 4.2 Update

treblah said:
Perhaps it's because I'm at college and everyone has a laptop but wifi usage is much more prevalent than iPhoto usage. Heck, even my parents whose VCR still blinks 12:00 have a wireless router for their DSL. Out of curiosity, how many people here use wifi on their macs?

I do!!! Have a PB 15" 1.67 and am looking forward to using it out in the back yard which I could not do previously. Hopefully this will increase my range like it has for others.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Doctor Q said:
I thought Page 2 was for uncertain rumours. This is neither uncertain or a rumour!! Sorry to moan, but it does seem pretty important to me!

Hurrah for updates! (I have used Wireless for 5 years or so, recently switched to two Airport Express's after my linksys one finally burned out...)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
glennsan said:
I do!!! Have a PB 15" 1.67 and am looking forward to using it out in the back yard which I could not do previously. Hopefully this will increase my range like it has for others.
I do hope not! I just bought a second Airport Express to extend range! Literally 2 days ago!

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
yea. all of my computers except for my imac g3 400mhz are internet ready with an airport card with the exception of the imac G4 which is connected to airport base station through ethernet

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
hob said:
I thought Page 2 was for uncertain rumours.
This question does come up routinely, even though the division of stories this way has been the same for a couple of years. Here is the original explanation that "Page 2 will contain links/commentary about news and rumors of lesser importance or unknown reliability."

Anyone with comments/suggestions about this type of issue is welcome to post them in the Site and Forum Feedback forum.

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
G5 Dual 2.5 CTO - 1 GB RAM with Dual 23" Cinema HD Displays/NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, Airport Extreme, BT, and 2 Airport Express base stations.

Airport Express used for Internet and iTunes remote to B&O BeoSound 9000.

Al

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
telecomm said:
Hey all, Airport Software version 4.2 is available in Software Update.

This wouldn't be of much interest, except that it's increased my signal (on a 12" PB) from 12 to the full 15 bars. Nice!

Um, 12 bars to 15 bars? Wow... But...
Aren't the bars just a REPRESENTATION of the signal strenght? They've just shifted the upper limits. So... now dB that used to measure as 12 are now worth 15. I suspect your range will be just the same. ;) Sorry.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
zv470 said:
Um, 12 bars to 15 bars? Wow... But...
Aren't the bars just a REPRESENTATION of the signal strenght? They've just shifted the upper limits. So... now dB that used to measure as 12 are now worth 15. I suspect your range will be just the same. ;) Sorry.

Could be, but I feel slightly better about things anyway. ;)

I don't really have enough space in my apartment to test how the range has actually been affected, but I'd be curious to see if anyone else can put this to the test...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mikeyredk said:
FOR WINDOWS :eek: is this true?
From apple.com:

AirPort Express Base Station: supports both Macs equipped with an AirPort Extreme Card and Wi-Fi-compliant 802.11g Windows PCs, as well as Macs with the older AirPort Card and 802.11b Windows PCs.

AirPort Extreme Base Station: supports AirPort-enabled and AirPort Extreme-enabled Mac computers, as well as Windows PCs with Wi-Fi certified 802.11b cards installed.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Somewhere in the bowels of Cupertino is a programmer who is reading this thread and chuckling to himself about how everyone keeps thinking their wireless connectivity is improving, when he just fills in more bars each release.

Suckers! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.