Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minmus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2024
I picked up a cheap AirPort Express 802.11N with the intent of using it as a wireless-to-Ethernet bridge for an old iMac G3. I've read tutorials of how to set it up that way on modern Macs, but I only have iOS devices, and I can't find the 'Allow Ethernet Clients' setting on the iPhone version of AirPort Utility. Am I out of luck and needing to find a friend with a Mac to set this device up, or is it nested in a different setting I haven't found yet?

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
From memory I think you'll need a Mac to get the extra features - might be wrong though. You're right in that iOS Airport Utility doesn't seem to get the extra features.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Pretty sure you just set the wireless mode to "Extend A Wireless Network" and turn the routing to "bridge mode" and call it a day. Connect your iMac to one of the LAN ports and it should work I think.

Reactions: Minmus

Minmus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2024
Pretty sure you just set the wireless mode to "Extend A Wireless Network" and turn the routing to "bridge mode" and call it a day. Connect your iMac to one of the LAN ports and it should work I think.
This is what I ended up doing and it worked! Thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.